Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: [101] Magnetic field strength in fN

1. Apr 13, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] [101] Magnetic field strength in fN

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

You have arranged that the magnetic field in a particular region of space is due North with a value of 0.01 T. An electron enters the field traveling to the West with a speed of 0.05 of the speed of light. As a result, the electron experiences a magnetic force which is upwards.

(a) What is the strength of this magnetic force, in fN? (NOTE: The "f" stands for "femto", which is 10-15.)

(b) What is the amount of the resulting acceleration of the electron? (NOTE: Get the mass of an electron from the inside back cover of your textbook.)

2. Relevant equations
    B=.01T
    B=2ki/c^2r

F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    B will be very strait forward once I have answered a. I already know the strength of the magnetic force (B) in Tesla. So, it seems that I just need to convert tesla to femto newtons. Can someone lead me in the right direction?

I am not very familiar with this concept.

Thank you SO much!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2008 #2

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

Tesla is a measure of magnetic field strength, not force. For a charged particle moving through a magnetic field, the force it feels is given by F=qVxB where q is the charge on the particle, V is its velocity, and B is the magnetic field. The x indicates cross product. Again, the Tesla value is a FIELD strength, not a force.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook