• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

[101] Magnetic field strength in fN

[SOLVED] [101] Magnetic field strength in fN

1. Homework Statement

You have arranged that the magnetic field in a particular region of space is due North with a value of 0.01 T. An electron enters the field traveling to the West with a speed of 0.05 of the speed of light. As a result, the electron experiences a magnetic force which is upwards.

(a) What is the strength of this magnetic force, in fN? (NOTE: The "f" stands for "femto", which is 10-15.)

(b) What is the amount of the resulting acceleration of the electron? (NOTE: Get the mass of an electron from the inside back cover of your textbook.)

2. Homework Equations
B=.01T
B=2ki/c^2r

F=ma

3. The Attempt at a Solution
B will be very strait forward once I have answered a. I already know the strength of the magnetic force (B) in Tesla. So, it seems that I just need to convert tesla to femto newtons. Can someone lead me in the right direction?

I am not very familiar with this concept.

Thank you SO much!

Answers and Replies

Nabeshin
Science Advisor
Tesla is a measure of magnetic field strength, not force. For a charged particle moving through a magnetic field, the force it feels is given by F=qVxB where q is the charge on the particle, V is its velocity, and B is the magnetic field. The x indicates cross product. Again, the Tesla value is a FIELD strength, not a force.