1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[101] Magnetic field strength in fN

1. Apr 13, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] [101] Magnetic field strength in fN

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

You have arranged that the magnetic field in a particular region of space is due North with a value of 0.01 T. An electron enters the field traveling to the West with a speed of 0.05 of the speed of light. As a result, the electron experiences a magnetic force which is upwards.

(a) What is the strength of this magnetic force, in fN? (NOTE: The "f" stands for "femto", which is 10-15.)

(b) What is the amount of the resulting acceleration of the electron? (NOTE: Get the mass of an electron from the inside back cover of your textbook.)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    B will be very strait forward once I have answered a. I already know the strength of the magnetic force (B) in Tesla. So, it seems that I just need to convert tesla to femto newtons. Can someone lead me in the right direction?

I am not very familiar with this concept.

Thank you SO much!
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2008 #2

Science Advisor

Tesla is a measure of magnetic field strength, not force. For a charged particle moving through a magnetic field, the force it feels is given by F=qVxB where q is the charge on the particle, V is its velocity, and B is the magnetic field. The x indicates cross product. Again, the Tesla value is a FIELD strength, not a force.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?