1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A circulating charged particle under a magnetic field

1. Oct 27, 2011 #1
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/543/unledyel.png/

This is a chamber, immersed in a magnetic field, containing circulating electrons shot into a gas. My question is: why is the direction of rotation for the electrons (as shown on the picture) clockwise and not counterclockwise? I am crossing v with B, which is directed outward of the page, and so, Fb is directed toward the center of the circle. However, with the direction of v and Fb known, I would think the electrons circulate counter-clockwise. Why is this not the case?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2011 #2
    I applied the RHR and determined that the force on a positive charge is directed outwards from the balloon. Thus, the force reverses and points inwards for a negative charge.

4. Oct 27, 2011 #3
    Also, it doesn't look like their rotating about the centre axis clockwise at all. To me, it appears that the velocity vector points in the direction such that the particles go counter clockwise.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook