1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: 3 Phase Machine Line Current problem

1. Aug 6, 2010 #1
    Hi guys,

I would really appreciate some help with this problem(probably quite easy for anybody with Electrical Engineering experience).

Thanks in advance

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 415V, 50Hz, 3-phase supply is connected to a 3 phase load of 10kw with a power factor of 0.8 lagging. Find the magnitude of the line currents.

2. Relevant equations

P = VICos(power factor)

Total Power = 3 V(p)I(p)cos(power factor)

3. The attempt at a solution

Attempted the question using the equations above, except I obtained the wrong answer.

Correct answer = 17.39Amps

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2010 #2
    Assuming the 415V is line to line rms and that the 10kW is the total wattage for all three phases:

[tex]V_{\phi}=\frac{V_{LL}}{\sqrt{3}}[/tex]
    with [tex]V_{\phi}[/tex] being a per phase voltage and [tex]V_{LL}[/tex] being the line-to-line voltage.

Next, we know that:
    [tex]P_{3\phi} = 3V_{\phi}I_{\phi}PF[/tex]
    with PF = powerfactor. And if this is star connected...
    [tex]I_{\phi}=I_{LL}[/tex]

so
    [tex]P_{3\phi}=3\frac{V_{LL}}{\sqrt{3}}I_{LL}PF=\sqrt{3}V_{LL}I_{LL}PF[/tex]
    or
    [tex]I_{LL}=\frac{P_{3\phi}}{V_{LL}\sqrt{3}PF}[/tex]

You seem to be confusing something. cos(angle) = PF. You don't say cos(PF). As far as I know, cos(PF) means nothing of importance.

4. Aug 17, 2010 #3
    Thanks very much!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook