1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transmission line 3 phase double circuit problem

1. Apr 26, 2012 #1
    Hi, i just need some help with something, I have been given a question to solve. I need to find a) sending end current, b) sending end power factor c) full load active power losses of a three phase "double Circuit" transmission line...I know how to calculate all of those for a three phase "single circuit" transmission line...but how do you calculate for a "double circuit" three phase transmission line...the transmission line is medium length with following parameters

50Hz, 330kV, 360MW at 0.82 power factor lagging load is to be
    supplied by 330kV, 50Hz, 160-km three phase double circuit. Each circuit has
    a per phase resistance of 0.00012pu/km, reactance of 0.00099pu/km, and shunt
    susceptance to neutral of 0.46174pu.

Please no need to calculate all of the above...just help me out on what a double circuit 3 phase transmission line is and how to calculate its parameters.

Any help is much appreciated...thank you

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2012 #2

gerbi

Gold Member

Isn't that a line with two wires per phase ?

4. Apr 26, 2012 #3
    wouldnt that make it a "bundled" circuit?...the question specifically says "double circuit" and not bundled circuit...so I am just a little confused

5. Apr 26, 2012 #4
    thanks for the reply btw

6. Apr 26, 2012 #5

gerbi

Gold Member

7. Apr 26, 2012 #6
    ok so when the question says Each circuit has a per phase resistance of 0.00012pu/km...the total per phase resistance would be 2 x (0.00012pu/km)...this sounds too simple to be true though

8. Apr 26, 2012 #7

gerbi

Gold Member

Connecting wires in parallel means dividing resistance not multiplying it my friend.
    And one more thing, I'm not an expert.. but what happends when two 3-phase 160 km long systems operates so close ? Aren't they electromagnetically coupled ?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  9. Apr 26, 2012 #8
    yep you are right about both being parallel and the magnetic coupling makes sense...but not sure how to calculate that

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook