Transmission line 3 phase double circuit problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of parameters for a three phase "double circuit" transmission line. The line is medium length, with a frequency of 50Hz and voltage of 330kV, supplying a 360MW load at a power factor of 0.82 lagging. Each circuit has a per phase resistance of 0.00012pu/km, reactance of 0.00099pu/km, and shunt susceptance to neutral of 0.46174pu. The conversation also touches on the difference between a double-circuit and bundled transmission line, and the potential electromagnetic coupling between two 3-phase 160km long systems operating in close proximity.
toup
Hi, i just need some help with something, I have been given a question to solve. I need to find a) sending end current, b) sending end power factor c) full load active power losses of a three phase "double Circuit" transmission line...I know how to calculate all of those for a three phase "single circuit" transmission line...but how do you calculate for a "double circuit" three phase transmission line...the transmission line is medium length with following parameters

50Hz, 330kV, 360MW at 0.82 power factor lagging load is to be
supplied by 330kV, 50Hz, 160-km three phase double circuit. Each circuit has
a per phase resistance of 0.00012pu/km, reactance of 0.00099pu/km, and shunt
susceptance to neutral of 0.46174pu.

Please no need to calculate all of the above...just help me out on what a double circuit 3 phase transmission line is and how to calculate its parameters.

Any help is much appreciated...thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't that a line with two wires per phase ?

wouldnt that make it a "bundled" circuit?...the question specifically says "double circuit" and not bundled circuit...so I am just a little confused

thanks for the reply btw

ok so when the question says Each circuit has a per phase resistance of 0.00012pu/km...the total per phase resistance would be 2 x (0.00012pu/km)...this sounds too simple to be true though

Connecting wires in parallel means dividing resistance not multiplying it my friend.
And one more thing, I'm not an expert.. but what happends when two 3-phase 160 km long systems operates so close ? Aren't they electromagnetically coupled ?

Last edited:
yep you are right about both being parallel and the magnetic coupling makes sense...but not sure how to calculate that

What is a transmission line 3 phase double circuit problem?

A transmission line 3 phase double circuit problem refers to a situation where two sets of three-phase conductors are used to carry electricity over long distances. This is a common setup in power systems to increase the capacity and reliability of power transmission.

What causes problems in a transmission line 3 phase double circuit?

The most common problems in a transmission line 3 phase double circuit are overloading, voltage drops, and power outages. These can be caused by factors such as extreme weather conditions, equipment failures, and inadequate maintenance.

How are problems in a transmission line 3 phase double circuit detected?

Problems in a transmission line 3 phase double circuit can be detected through regular monitoring and inspection, as well as advanced technologies such as remote sensing and thermal imaging. Power companies also use computer simulations and modeling to identify potential issues.

What are the solutions for a transmission line 3 phase double circuit problem?

The solutions for a transmission line 3 phase double circuit problem depend on the specific issue. Some common solutions include repairing or replacing damaged equipment, upgrading the power system infrastructure, and implementing better maintenance practices. In some cases, power companies may also need to adjust the power flow or reroute electricity to prevent further problems.

How can we prevent transmission line 3 phase double circuit problems?

To prevent transmission line 3 phase double circuit problems, regular maintenance and inspections are crucial. It is also essential to invest in advanced technologies for monitoring and detecting potential issues. Additionally, power companies can implement contingency plans and have backup systems in place to minimize the impact of power outages.