1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3 pieces of Polaroid sheet (light intensity)

1. Apr 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Unpolarized light of intensity I0 passes through two pieces of Polaroid sheet. The second piece is rotated so that the intensity of the transmitted light goes to zero. A
    third piece of Polaroid is inserted between the two pieces. Calculate the intensity as
    a function of the angle Θ that the axis of the middle piece makes with the axis of the
    first piece. By calculating the derivative of the intensity as a function of angle, find
    the angle that maximizes the intensity for this three-sheet arrangement.

2. Relevant equations

I0 = E2

(1/2)I0 = I1 (after 1st sheet

then, I = E2cos2Θ

dsinΘ = mλ

3. The attempt at a solution

After passing the first sheet, I = (1/2) I0
    Then, (1/2)I0 = E2cos2Θ

after that i dont know what to do...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Two Polaroid are in crossed position. When the third Polaroid is rotated through an angle theta Intensity through it is I = E^2cos^2(theta).Axis of the second Polaroid makes an angle (90 - theta) with the axis of the middle sheet. Hence intensity of the light from the second sheet I' = E^2cos^2(theta)*cos^2(90 - theta)
    or I' = E^2cos^2(theta)*sin^2( theta)
    Further simplify it. Differentiate with respect to theta and equate it to zero to get the angle for maximum and minimum intensity.

4. Apr 8, 2009 #3
    thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook