Intensity of polaroids at an angle

I0) = 0.0714 I0Using the equation I2 = I1(cos theta)^2, we can solve for theta:0.0714 I0 = 0.5 I0 cos(theta)^2cos(theta)^2 = (0.0714 I0) / (0.5 I0)cos(theta)^2 = 0.1428cos(theta) = +/- 0.3781Therefore, the angle should be placed at approximately 68.6 degrees or 111.4 degrees to reduce the intensity by an additional factor of 7. In summary, the axes of the two Polaroids should be placed at an angle of
Sasha26

Homework Statement

At what angle should the axes of two Polaroids be placed so as to reduce the intensity of the incident unpolarized light by an additional factor (after the first Polaroid cuts it in half) of 7? b) 25? c) 250?

Homework Equations

The first polaroid decreases the intensity by 1/2, so that's I1 = 0.5I0.
I also have I2 = I1(cos theta)^2.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think it might just be the wording that's getting me, but here's my interpretation:

In the first polaroid, 1/2 the intensity is removed. That makes I1 equal to 0.5 I0.
In the second polaroid, 1/7 of I0 is removed. That makes I2 = 0.5I0 - (1/7 I0), or 5/14 I0.

So then I've got I2 = I1(cos theta)^2 --> 5/14 I0 = 0.5 I0 cos(theta)^2. This gives me 32 as theta, which is incorrect. I haven't tried to work out the rest as there seems to be something wrong with my procedure and they're all essentially the same problem.

Any help is much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
To reduce I1 by a factor of 7 means that

I2 = (1/7) I1

Your interpretation is correct, but there is an error in your calculation for I2. It should be I2 = I1/7 = (0.5 I0)/7 = 0.0714 I0. Then, using the equation I2 = I1(cos theta)^2, we get 0.0714 I0 = 0.5 I0 cos(theta)^2. Solving for theta, we get cos(theta) = sqrt(0.0714/0.5) = 0.2673. Taking the inverse cosine, we get theta = 75.2 degrees. This is the angle at which the axes of the two polaroids should be placed to reduce the intensity of unpolarized light by a factor of 7 after the first polaroid cuts it in half.

For b) 25 degrees, we get cos(theta) = sqrt(0.0714/0.5) = 0.5345. Taking the inverse cosine, we get theta = 57.9 degrees. This is the angle at which the axes of the two polaroids should be placed to reduce the intensity by a factor of 7.

For c) 250 degrees, we get cos(theta) = sqrt(0.0714/0.5) = -0.5345. Taking the inverse cosine, we get theta = 122.1 degrees. This is also the angle at which the axes of the two polaroids should be placed to reduce the intensity by a factor of 7.

What is the intensity of polaroids at an angle?

The intensity of polaroids at an angle is the amount of light that passes through a polaroid filter when it is rotated at a certain angle.

How does the angle of a polaroid affect its intensity?

The intensity of a polaroid is directly proportional to the cosine of the angle between the polarizing axis of the polaroid and the direction of the incident light. This means that as the angle increases, the intensity decreases.

Why does the intensity of polaroids change at different angles?

Polaroids work by blocking certain orientations of light waves, allowing only light waves that are aligned with the polarizing axis to pass through. When the polaroid is rotated, the angle between the polarizing axis and the incident light changes, causing a change in the intensity of light that can pass through.

What is the relationship between the intensity of polaroids and the angle of polarized light?

The intensity of polaroids and the angle of polarized light have an inverse relationship. This means that as the angle of polarized light increases, the intensity of polaroids decreases.

How can the intensity of polaroids at an angle be calculated?

The intensity of polaroids at an angle can be calculated using the Malus' law, which states that the intensity of polarized light passing through a polaroid is equal to the intensity of the incident light multiplied by the square of the cosine of the angle between the polarizing axis and the direction of the incident light.