1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3 point electrical charge problem

1. Jun 16, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given 3 point charges as follows:
    1) a +2.5uC charge at (-0.20m , 0.15m)
    2) a -4.8uC charge at (0.50m , -0.35m)
    3) a -6.3uC charge at (-0.42m , 0.32m)

What is the electric field at the origin (0,0)?

2. Relevant equations

E = (k * q) / (r^2) (To find the magnitude)

k = 9.0e9 (N m^2)/C^2

Etotal = Ex + Ey

Vx = (Magnitude * Cos(θ) )
    Vy = (Magnitude * Sin(θ) )

3. The attempt at a solution

First, I plotted each point on a plane, and found the distance each point was from the origin using basic trig.

Point 1 had a distance of .25m
    Point 2 had a distance of .61m
    Point 3 had a distance of .53m

From there, I found the magnitude using the first stated equation.

E1 = 3.6e5 N/C
    E2 = 1.2e5 N/C
    E3 = 2.0e5 N/C

My textbook ends here saying that the addition of the vector magnitudes along the X axis should yield Ex. If i do that, I get E1 + E2 - E3 which equates out to be roughly 2.8e5. The answer in the back of the book states 2.1e5 is the correct answer. So, I did some online digging and found that the law of cosines is needed, but is not stated anywhere in the textbook sample problem. The angles I found were as followed

1) 37°
    2) 35°
    3) 38°

Using these angles in the equation of (Magnitude)(cos(Angle) I found the following new values

E1 = 2.88e5
    E2 = 9.5e4
    E3 = 1.59e5

Adding these in the manner stated before (E1 + E2 - E3) I get 2.24e5, which satisfies the X component of the problem. Now, when it comes to the Y component, I found that if you take the Sine of the angles above, and multiply them by the magnitude, it should result in the overall Y vector. The book states that -4.1e3 should be the answer, but I get nowhere near that answer. I get -1.58e5. It's been a while since I've taken physics so I'm a bit rusty. Are there any steps or equations that I'm not seeing? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2014 #2
    You have to be more careful with the angles. In particular make sure you're getting the angle in the correct quadrant. I'm getting

1) 180 - 36.9 = 143.1°
    2) -35.0°
    3) 180 - 37.3 = 142.7°

4. Jun 16, 2014 #3
    Okay, I completely forgot about the sign changes between quadrants. My question though is why is point 3 180 - 37.3? Cosine is postive in Quadrant IV, I'm just not sure why 180 is being used to get the angle. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted