Electricity: electric field in a point Between Two Charges

In summary, the cosine rule can be applied to triangles and vectors to find the magnitude and direction of a resultant vector. However, in the case of adding electric fields, the angle used in the cosine rule is not the angle between the vectors, but instead is the angle of pi minus the actual angle between the vectors. This results in the use of +2 instead of -2 in the formula. This formula does not have a specific name, as it is just using the cosine rule for vector addition.
Epoch

Homework Statement

I've seen many books writing the cosine rule like this:
a^2 = b^2 + c^2 - 2bc cos A

My electricity textbook for an electric field in a point between two charges says this:
E resultant = root[E1^2 + E2^2 + 2*E1*E2*cos(angle between E1 and E2)]

In the first equation it is -2 and in my textbook it is +2.
Why is this?
Because if I use the -2 in my exercises it is wrong and the +2 is right.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really have an attempt since it is more a theoretical question.
I understand how to use it, but I don't understand the +2 and -2.
Vectors.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Epoch said:
I've seen many books writing the cosine rule like this:
a^2 = b^2 + c^2 - 2bc cos A
Note that this applies to a triangle. A is the angle between sides b & c of the triangle.

Epoch said:
My electricity textbook for an electric field in a point between two charges says this:
E resultant = root[E1^2 + E2^2 + 2*E1*E2*cos(angle between E1 and E2)]
If you draw a diagram of the vector sum of E1 and E2, you'll see that the angle that applies to the cosine rule is not the angle between those vectors. Instead it is ##A = \pi -
\theta##. Note that ##\cos(\pi -\theta) = -\cos\theta##.

Likes SammyS
Doc Al said:
Note that this applies to a triangle. A is the angle between sides b & c of the triangle.If you draw a diagram of the vector sum of E1 and E2, you'll see that the angle that applies to the cosine rule is not the angle between those vectors. Instead it is ##A = \pi -
\theta##. Note that ##\cos(\pi -\theta) = -\cos\theta##.

So is it still called the cosine rule in electricity or does this formula have a specific name?

Epoch said:
So is it still called the cosine rule in electricity or does this formula have a specific name?
No reason to give that formula a special name. You're just adding vectors using the cosine rule. (There are other ways to add vectors. This is just one.)

Doc Al said:
No reason to give that formula a special name. You're just adding vectors using the cosine rule. (There are other ways to add vectors. This is just one.)
Thanks.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence that an electric charge has on other charges in its vicinity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is the electric field in a point between two charges calculated?

The electric field in a point between two charges is calculated by dividing the force exerted on a test charge placed at that point by the magnitude of the test charge. This is known as Coulomb's law.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electric field in a point between two charges?

The strength of the electric field in a point between two charges is affected by the magnitude of the charges, the distance between them, and the medium in which the charges are located. The electric field will be stronger if the charges are larger and closer together, and weaker if they are smaller and further apart.

4. How does the direction of the electric field in a point between two charges depend on the charges?

The direction of the electric field in a point between two charges depends on the type of charges present. If the charges are of the same type (both positive or both negative), the electric field will point away from each charge. If the charges are of opposite types, the electric field will point towards the positive charge.

5. What are some real-life applications of understanding the electric field in a point between two charges?

Understanding the electric field in a point between two charges is important in many practical applications, such as designing circuits, understanding the behavior of lightning, and developing technologies like capacitors and batteries. It is also crucial in fields like electromagnetism and electronics.