Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

3 ways of transient processes, in LRC circuits

1. Nov 11, 2011 #1
    Hello!

For those that were with me at signals, I passed the exam, but barley. 10,5 points out 20. Going to cancel that exam and do it again when I have the chance.

But anyway, back to the topic.

I am trying to get the intuition for transient processes in RLC circuits. I was taught that 3 exist, each of them represented by different solutions from differential equation.

When I connected an oscilloscope in National instruments, to a RLC circuit, when I turned on the circuit, I saw the transient process. It was like magic to me.

Can anybody give me good parameters, or a guide so I can see all 3 transient processes in the same circuit but with various values for RLC?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2011 #2
    The circuit's damping factor

8d5dbacee8940b34c96df88d18115c6f.png

will determine the RLC circuit's step response. I don't know what component values you have lying around, but use what you've got to and solve for the critical damped case (ζ = 1), underdamped case (ζ < 1) and overdamped case (ζ > 1)?

4. Nov 11, 2011 #3
    I wanted nice values in relation to frequency, because, oscillations and transients are not very easy to spot at 50kHz.

Guess I will figure them out of that formula, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook