3 ways of transient processes, in LRC circuits

In summary, the speaker shared their experience at signals and mentioned passing the exam with a low score. They then shifted the topic to RLC circuits and expressed their fascination with the transient process when using an oscilloscope. They asked for parameters or a guide to observe all three transient processes in the same circuit with different values for RLC. The damping factor of the circuit was mentioned as the determining factor for the step response, and the speaker planned to use available component values to solve for the critical damped, underdamped, and overdamped cases. They also mentioned wanting to use nice values in relation to frequency for easier observation.
Bassalisk
Hello!

For those that were with me at signals, I passed the exam, but barley. 10,5 points out 20. Going to cancel that exam and do it again when I have the chance.

But anyway, back to the topic.

I am trying to get the intuition for transient processes in RLC circuits. I was taught that 3 exist, each of them represented by different solutions from differential equation.

When I connected an oscilloscope in National instruments, to a RLC circuit, when I turned on the circuit, I saw the transient process. It was like magic to me.

Can anybody give me good parameters, or a guide so I can see all 3 transient processes in the same circuit but with various values for RLC?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Bassalisk said:
When I connected an oscilloscope in National instruments, to a RLC circuit, when I turned on the circuit, I saw the transient process. It was like magic to me.

Can anybody give me good parameters, or a guide so I can see all 3 transient processes in the same circuit but with various values for RLC?
The circuit's damping factor

8d5dbacee8940b34c96df88d18115c6f.png

will determine the RLC circuit's step response. I don't know what component values you have lying around, but use what you've got to and solve for the critical damped case (ζ = 1), underdamped case (ζ < 1) and overdamped case (ζ > 1)?

gnurf said:
The circuit's damping factor

8d5dbacee8940b34c96df88d18115c6f.png

will determine the RLC circuit's step response. I don't know what component values you have lying around, but use what you've got to and solve for the critical damped case (ζ = 1), underdamped case (ζ < 1) and overdamped case (ζ > 1)?

I wanted nice values in relation to frequency, because, oscillations and transients are not very easy to spot at 50kHz.

Guess I will figure them out of that formula, thanks.

1. What are the three ways of transient processes in LRC circuits?

The three ways of transient processes in LRC circuits are natural response, forced response, and complete response.

2. What is the natural response in LRC circuits?

The natural response in LRC circuits is the response of the circuit without any external input or driving force. It is solely dependent on the initial conditions of the circuit.

3. What is the forced response in LRC circuits?

The forced response in LRC circuits is the response of the circuit to an external driving force or input. It is dependent on the input signal and the circuit parameters.

4. What is the complete response in LRC circuits?

The complete response in LRC circuits is the sum of the natural and forced responses. It represents the overall behavior of the circuit over time.

5. How do the three ways of transient processes affect the behavior of LRC circuits?

The three ways of transient processes have a significant impact on the behavior of LRC circuits. The natural response determines the initial conditions of the circuit, the forced response determines the steady-state behavior, and the complete response shows the overall response of the circuit over time.