Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

316L SS suitable for chlorinated water?

1. Dec 3, 2009 #1
    Hey all, I'm looking to find information on material to use for a tank containing chlorinated water at 5ppm concentration. I was wondering if 304SS or 316L SS would be suitable or if we would have to use some other form of Stainless Steel. All that I have read shows 316 as being more corrosion resistance but does not give any specific measurements.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2009 #2
    I know that on a lot of the water service pumps we see at my job, we usually use bronze impellers, bushings, etc., so that is one consideration. But as far as I can tell, yes, 316 should be fine.

4. Dec 30, 2009 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

We use 316 for offshore (seawater) stuff, it's about the most resistant regular stainless steel.
    If this isn't good enough you have to get pretty exotic

5. Jan 6, 2010 #4
    Thanks for all of the replies, after looking on the internet a bit more it looks like 5ppm is the max that 316L is withstand constant exposure to.

Thanks Again

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook