1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

32.76 Time for current to decay with capacitors and resistors.

1. Mar 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The capacitors in the figure are charged and the switch closes at t=0s. At what time has the current in the 8 ohm resistor decayed to half the value it had immediately after the switch was closed?
    (The circuit looks something like this; 2 capacitors are in series at 60microfarads each, another is in parallel with the other two at 20microfarads. Above and to the right is a switch, and to the right of the switch is an 8 ohm resisitor. Below and to the right of the 8 ohm resistor is two resistors in parallel, one at 30 ohm and another at 20 ohms.)

2. Relevant equations
    Q=Qoe^(-t/RC)
    I=Ioe^(-t/RC)
    From knight edition 2, a strategic approach
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Value of capacitors=50*10^-6 F
    Value of resistors= 23 ohms
    Using I=Ioe^(-t/RC)
    (We dont really need to find the values of I and Io because we know that the current has to decay to 1/2 its original value
    ln(0.5)= (-t/RC)
    I think my point of error lies here, but im not sure...
    ln(0.5)= (-t/(8ohms*(50*10^-6)))
    -t=2.77*10^-4 s
    This answer is incorrect. Considering that the textbook calls this a challanging problem, im assuming that there is more work needed to answer this question than what I have done. Can someone please help me?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted