35 to old for Graduate School?

In summary, a 33-year old pre-junior mechanical engineering major is excelling in his second degree and is considering getting a Master's degree. He is concerned about his age and the perception that engineering is a young man's sport, but others reassure him that age is not a barrier and that a Master's degree can open up more opportunities. Additionally, a friend shares their experience of obtaining a PhD at age 40 and finding success in their field. The individual has decided to pursue a Master's degree, with a potential focus on Thermal Fluids or Control Theory.
MEM33
Hello all, I am a 33 year old pre-junior mechanical engineering major. This is my second degree and I am doing extremely well. Current GPA 3.88. Coming into the program I figured I would get my bachelors and that would be it, but since I have been doing so well and truly appreciate the learning process I feel like I want to keep going and get my Master's. Does anyone think I am too old? It seems like a young guys sport, but I seem to out perform most of the young guys in the program. I know this is a personal decision, but any input from people is always helpful when making big decisions.

Thanks,
MEM33

Physics news on Phys.org
Same exact boat as you. I'm not too old. I feel that I regularly outperform my younger peers, a fact likely attributed to work ethic, genuine interest in the subject, and knowing what life is like without a good job.

What are your goals? I don't know what doors open for you with a masters that aren't with a bachelors, but if you're interested in it and can make a few bucks more and are in that "school" zone where classes aren't a drag, then go for it. The whole "young man's sport" thing I think is totally wrong. It'd go way better for everyone if you couldn't start grad school until 32 or so for the reason's QuarkCharmer said.

QuarkCharmer thanks for the positive feedback. Einstein Mcfly, I was thinking more so promotions down the road, and personal accomplishment. Like you said I am in the school zone right now and don't see myself stopping getting comfortable, then starting up again.

QuarkCharmer said:
Same exact boat as you. I'm not too old. I feel that I regularly outperform my younger peers, a fact likely attributed to work ethic, genuine interest in the subject, and knowing what life is like without a good job.

Well said. Though I'm just a year into my undergraduate studies at 27, I feel the same way. I feel much sharper now at 27 than I ever did at 18. One thing is for certain...my work ethic at this age is far, far higher than it was at 18! Working dead-end jobs for a decade can really be an enlightening experience.

Hi, a friend of mine finishes her PhD being fourty, having family, two adult sons etc. She started about 4 years ago and now she's very well established in theoretical physics and has nice friendship with the 'big' people of her science. She's working very hard, she's a good mother, a very popular teacher. The difference to the youngsters is simple: she knows what she wants (unlike me), she is a hard worker (harder than anyone else I know).

As prof. Cassaza writes in "A mathematician's survival guide" - Mathematics is ageless. And: Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

So thumbs up!

MEM33 said:
Hello all, I am a 33 year old pre-junior mechanical engineering major. This is my second degree and I am doing extremely well. Current GPA 3.88. Coming into the program I figured I would get my bachelors and that would be it, but since I have been doing so well and truly appreciate the learning process I feel like I want to keep going and get my Master's. Does anyone think I am too old? It seems like a young guys sport, but I seem to out perform most of the young guys in the program. I know this is a personal decision, but any input from people is always helpful when making big decisions.

Thanks,
MEM33

You ABSOLUTELY are not too old to get a Master's degree. When I was in graduate school there were a number of people there your age and older. It's not a young guy's sport at all, it's just that people who do it tend to be young because it is so hard to leave a comfortable job and life to go back to school.

I think it is a great idea to go for a Master's because, for better or for worse, the Master's degree is fast becoming the entry-level professional degree in a lot of engineering subfields.

Good luck!

Carl

carlgrace said:
You ABSOLUTELY are not too old to get a Master's degree. When I was in graduate school there were a number of people there your age and older. It's not a young guy's sport at all, it's just that people who do it tend to be young because it is so hard to leave a comfortable job and life to go back to school.

I think it is a great idea to go for a Master's because, for better or for worse, the Master's degree is fast becoming the entry-level professional degree in a lot of engineering subfields.

Good luck!

Carl

Thanks Carl, and others for the boost of confidence. I am definitely going to do it. I am thinking about specializing in either Thermal Fluids, or Control Theory. Any advice on either?

Mem33

1. Is 35 too old to pursue a graduate degree?

No, 35 is not too old to pursue a graduate degree. There is no age limit for pursuing higher education and many individuals choose to go back to school later in life.

2. Will my age affect my chances of getting into graduate school?

Your age alone will not affect your chances of getting into graduate school. Admissions committees consider a variety of factors such as academic background, work experience, and personal statement when making admissions decisions.

3. Can I balance graduate school with other responsibilities at 35?

Yes, it is possible to balance graduate school with other responsibilities at 35. Many graduate programs offer flexible schedules and online options to accommodate students with busy lives.

4. Will I be able to find a job after graduating at 35?

Yes, you can still find a job after graduating from graduate school at 35. Employers value the skills and knowledge gained from graduate education and your age should not be a barrier to employment.

5. Are there any financial aid options for 35-year-old graduate students?

Yes, there are financial aid options available for graduate students of all ages. These can include scholarships, grants, and loans. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities to help fund your graduate education.