3CR12 Steel for Power Transformer

In summary, the main issue being discussed is the rusting of power transformer components in a highly corrosive coastal environment. The use of 3CR12 steel for the main tank has been considered as a solution due to its welding capabilities and strength compared to mild steel. However, there is a concern about the magnetic resistance of 3CR12 steel and its potential impact on the ability to detect high resistance Earth faults through the neutral current transformer. Further research or input from others is requested.
idp
I live in a highly corrosive coastal environment, a major problem we have is rusting of all components of our power transformers. I have investigated the use of 3CR12 (or equivalent) for the main tank (between 31,5MVA up to 63 MVA 132kV/22 or 11kV) (YyN0) in order to prevent rust problems.

It seems from my web reading that 3CR12 steel would be suitable for the main tank in terms of welding (ie construction) of the tank and general strength vs mild steel. (Although I don't know of any manufacturers using it in large power transformers)

My question however concerns the magnetic resistance of 3CR12 vs that of mild steel. During a phase to Earth fault, the magnetic flux in the core of the faulted phase is >>> than the other two healthy phases, the only path for this flux (as I understand it) is through the main tank of the transformer. Using mild steel for the tank, it is accepted that the magnetic resistance is low enough not to impede the flux path and thus allows for the Earth fault current return via the neutral. Does anyone have any idea of the impact of the slightly higher magnetic resistance of 3CR12 steel would have on the ability to act as the flux path during these fault conditions? IE, would the Earth fault (specifically high resistance Earth faults) still be able to be picked up by the neutral CT?https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4jv0YTGHYuoMWh5am5fenpLUTNXek9lclhUUEtGZlRmVWNF/view?usp=sharing
Thanks for any response

Engineering news on Phys.org
3CR12 Transformer Tank.jpg
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4jv0YTGHYuoMWh5am5fenpLUTNXek9lclhUUEtGZlRmVWNF/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:

1. What is 3CR12 steel and why is it used for power transformers?

3CR12 steel is a type of stainless steel that contains 12% chromium and has a low carbon content, making it highly corrosion resistant. It is commonly used for power transformers because of its high strength, durability, and ability to withstand extreme temperatures and electrical currents.

2. How does 3CR12 steel compare to other materials used for power transformers?

In comparison to other materials such as copper or aluminum, 3CR12 steel has a lower cost and higher corrosion resistance. It also has better magnetic properties and can handle higher temperatures, making it a preferred choice for power transformers.

3. Is 3CR12 steel safe to use in power transformers?

Yes, 3CR12 steel is safe to use in power transformers. It has been extensively tested and approved for use in various industries, including power generation. It meets all safety standards and regulations, making it a reliable and trusted material for power transformers.

4. Is 3CR12 steel environmentally friendly?

Yes, 3CR12 steel is environmentally friendly. It is 100% recyclable and has a low carbon footprint, making it a sustainable choice for power transformers. Its long lifespan also reduces the need for frequent replacements, further reducing its impact on the environment.

5. How does the use of 3CR12 steel benefit power transformers?

The use of 3CR12 steel in power transformers offers several benefits, such as increased durability and resistance to corrosion, which extends the lifespan of the transformer. It also has excellent magnetic properties, allowing for more efficient energy transfer. Additionally, its lower cost and environmental friendliness make it a cost-effective and sustainable choice for power transformers.