Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I 3D coordinates vector calculation

1. Aug 31, 2018 #1
    How do I calculate the resultant of three component vectors set mutually at 60 degrees to each other (not in the same plane)?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2018 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Hi and welcome to PF.
    The most straightforward way would be to use Cartesian Co-ordinates and resolve each of the three vectors along arbitrary x, y and z axes and add the x components together and likewise for the y and z components. Then the overall resultant vector is given by adding the three resulting components.

4. Aug 31, 2018 #3
    Where, of course, “adding the three resulting components” is vector addition. The resultant magnitude is found by adding the magnitudes in quadrature and the angular direction requires resolving to some angular representation, probably Euler angles, by appropriate trigonometry.

Frankly I’d just leave it as components. It’s easier, just as meaningful and twice as useful. (for those of us who favor linear algebra)

5. Aug 31, 2018 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Agreed - unless you actually need to draw a line on a graph.

6. Aug 31, 2018 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted