3D surface of the land and ocean floor

In summary, there are multiple resources available to help you find elevation data and grayscale maps for the Earth's surface. These include the US Geological Survey website EarthExplorer, the NASA website EOSDIS, and Google Earth Pro. Utilizing these resources, you can create your own 3D model of the Earth's surface and adjust the sea level to see how it affects the land and ocean.
SAZAR
Can someone point me to 3D model of surface of the land and ocean floor of the Earth,
or a grayscale elevation map so I could make my own 3D model from it.

I was curious - I wanted to play a bit with such "flat" (rectangular i.e. not spherical) 3D model of Earth's relief by placing a flat surface (that is: ocean surface) parallel to it intersecting with relief features at different levels so I would see how would Earth map look like with different ocean levels.

(I mean - imagine: new islands, new continents and other features - like some other planet!)

If someone already made that - I would like to see so give me some link - if not - give me material (grayscale-value elevation map in high enough resolution, but not too large) and I'll make it - no problem!

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Google Earth 5 introduced 3D models of the ocean floor.

Is that sufficient?

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello there!

I found a few resources that might be helpful for your project.

1. The US Geological Survey (USGS) has a website called EarthExplorer where you can search for and download elevation data for different areas of the world. You can select the format you want the data in, including grayscale elevation maps. Here's the link: https://earthexplorer.usgs.gov/

2. NASA also has a website called Earth Observing System Data and Information System (EOSDIS) where you can find various datasets, including elevation data. Here's the link: https://earthdata.nasa.gov/

3. Another option is to use Google Earth Pro. It has a feature where you can view elevation data in 3D and adjust the sea level to see how it affects the land and ocean. Here's the link to download Google Earth Pro: https://www.google.com/earth/versions/#earth-pro

I hope these resources help you in creating your 3D model of the Earth's surface. Happy exploring!

1. What is a 3D surface of the land and ocean floor?

The 3D surface of the land and ocean floor refers to a digital representation of the topography or relief of the Earth's surface and the ocean floor. It includes the elevation or depth of the land and sea, as well as features such as mountains, valleys, and trenches.

2. How is a 3D surface of the land and ocean floor created?

A 3D surface of the land and ocean floor is created using data collected from various sources, such as satellite imagery, aerial photography, and sonar technology. This data is processed and compiled to create a digital model of the Earth's surface, which can then be visualized in three dimensions.

3. What is the importance of studying the 3D surface of the land and ocean floor?

Studying the 3D surface of the land and ocean floor allows us to better understand and monitor changes in the Earth's topography and ocean depths. This information is crucial for various fields such as geology, oceanography, and environmental science. It also helps us to identify potential hazards, plan infrastructure projects, and manage natural resources.

4. Can the 3D surface of the land and ocean floor be used for navigation?

Yes, the 3D surface of the land and ocean floor is used for navigation in various ways. For example, ships and aircraft use it for safe navigation, while hikers and climbers use it to plan routes. It is also used for creating accurate maps and charts, as well as for virtual and augmented reality applications.

5. How often is the 3D surface of the land and ocean floor updated?

The frequency of updates for the 3D surface of the land and ocean floor depends on the data sources and the purpose of the model. In general, satellite imagery is updated every few years, while aerial photography and sonar data are updated more frequently. However, natural events such as earthquakes or volcanic eruptions can also affect the topography and require more frequent updates.