Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

4+d maze game

1. Dec 17, 2015 #1
    Hey everybody,

So I just finished the first version of a personal project I've been working on. This is a simple program that enables you to explore a maze that consists of more than 2 dimensions(to a maximum of 8) in 3d space.

It's a simple creature that I'm not sure anyone would really be interested in playing, but if you are you can check it out at the following address.
    http://www.indiedb.com/games/am4zing

Commentary and/or feedback is appreciated,
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2015 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Cool! How do you handle 4 to 8 dimensions in a 3D world?

Like, if you turn right 4 times do you not end up back where you started?

4. Dec 17, 2015 #3
    Sadly no. That is in fact the original way it was attempted, but the program just wouldn't work. Instead it displays only 3 of the available dimensions at a time, and allows you to swap out what ones are visible at any given moment.

5. Dec 17, 2015 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You can't have more than three dimensions in 3D space. That "D" in 3D stands for "dimensions."

6. Dec 17, 2015 #5
    -_- I realise that. The maze is abstracted to fit in our world. I meant as opposed to moving in a 2d maze like those in a newspaper and most maze programs.

7. Dec 17, 2015 #6

Mark44

So how can you have up to 8 dimensions in 3D space?

8. Dec 17, 2015 #7
    See reply to 'DaveC426913' :D

9. Dec 17, 2015 #8

mfb

2016 Award

There is a video explaining the concept.
    Your view is always limited to a 3D hyperplane aligned to three spatial dimensions of the maze, which is then projected on the 2D screen. You can choose the view.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook