1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

4 year bachelors physics degree taking 5 years -- is that bad?

Tags:
  1. Sep 8, 2015 #1
    I'm entering my 3rd year, for a bachelors degree in Physics. I messed up in the first year and now I'm trying to catch up.

Can I get a place in a university for a doctorate or MA afterwards?? Even if my grades are really good in each subject/course?

I'm getting worried! Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2015 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Five years for the "four year" degree is not bad. After six years,... not so good. Be sure you take some time to learn some salable skills. Make good use of time during the summers, maybe review some topic or subject which recently gave you trouble or any which you become weak in.

4. Sep 8, 2015 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

If you're in the US, and you do well in your last four years, I wouldn't worry about it. If you're not in the US, it depends on your country's academic customs, or rather, the academic customs of wherever you want to go to graduate school.

5. Sep 8, 2015 #4

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Just to add to what's been said...

Taking extra time might generate a flag when people on admissions committees review your application. That's not necessarily bad. There are a lot of legitimate reasons why someone would take extra time. What they will be looking for specifically are the reasons why you needed extra time and whether those factors are likely to influence your potential performance in graduate school.

If you struggled in your first year for whatever reason (adjusting to university life, unsure of direction, etc.), but made adjustments and have been successful in the years since, it's not likely to be seen negatively.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook