1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

4d Orb

1. Feb 13, 2006 #1
    In a lecture today, we (my professor) calculated the volume of a 4 dimensional orb. I discussed it with a few other people but no one could properly explain how to picture this orb.

What do you think does it "look" like?

One possible theory: An orb which depends on the time and shiftes it's shape accordingly. But this doesn't seem satisfactory to me.

Help ? :uhh:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2006 #2
    You CAN'T imagine what a 4D orb "looks" like. I can think of no PhD who has been working with higher dimensions for a long time who would admit to being able to picture a 4D object. The closest thing you can get, pictorally, is to slice the object into 3D slices and associate each slice with a different 4th coordinate. In that case, a 4D orb starts at a point at (0,0,0,-r) grows in a circular fashion as you move towards 0 along the 4th axis until it forms the sphere x^2+y^2+z^2=r^2 centered at (0,0,0,0) and then shrinks again in a circular fashion until you hit (0,0,0,r). The radius of the 3D spherical slice at the 4th coordinate (let's say w) w=a where -r<a<r is going to be sqrt(r^2-a^2). That's pretty much what a 4-sphere is.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook