Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

4Ω speakers useable with 6Ω tuner?

1. Mar 14, 2009 #1
    I just got a new home theater tuner with outputs that say 6Ω, but the speakers I have are 4Ω. Can these speakers be used with this tuner?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2009 #2

turbo

Gold Member

If the tuner is solid-state (I assume it is, and it's actually a receiver, combining the functions of a tuner and an integrated amplifier), you have an impedance mismatch that might wreck the output transistors. Tube-driven amps can handle low-impedance loads pretty well, but solid-state amps can be pretty touchy about that. Solid-state amps are much happier with loads that are higher-impedance than their nominal rating.

4. Mar 14, 2009 #3
    thank you for replying. does this mean that there is no solution to make these speakers work with this tuner?

5. Mar 14, 2009 #4

turbo

Gold Member

If you can get another pair of 4 ohm speakers AND wire them in series, you'll have an 8 ohm load on each channel and your output transistors will be happy. You could also wire a passive resistive load in series with each of those speakers, though I can't vouch for the sound quality. Your best bet is to get a pair of decent 8 ohm speakers (most common impedance) that are rated to handle the output power of the amp.

6. Mar 14, 2009 #5
    So, speaker ohms can be higher, got it. I'll get some 8 ohm'ers then, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook