Solving y(4)-4y" = 16e2x: Need Help!

• Thread starter lizlemon1991
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a differential equation with the form y(4)-4y=16e2x, where y is a function of x and its fourth derivative. To solve this equation, various methods such as separation of variables, integrating factors, substitution, and numerical methods can be used. Special cases, such as when the exponential term is equal to zero, should also be considered. To verify the solution, it can be substituted back into the original equation or plotted using graphing software.
lizlemon1991
I'm working on this equation and I think I remember how to do it, but my notes from this class are so scattered and I can't seem to find the section in my textbook.

the problem is:

y(4)-4y" = 16e2x

can someone help me out with just getting started? Doesn't it have something to do with letting w=y" and w"=y4?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to get the homogeneous solution and the particular solution.
To obtain the homogeneous solution use the characteristic equation.

Related to Solving y(4)-4y" = 16e2x: Need Help!

Question 1: What does the equation "y(4)-4y=16e2x" mean?

The equation represents a differential equation where the y variable is a function of x and its fourth derivative, and the right side of the equation is a constant multiple of the exponential function e raised to the power of 2x.

Question 2: How do I solve this differential equation?

To solve this differential equation, you can use standard methods such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or substitution. It is also helpful to check for exactness and use partial integration techniques if necessary.

Question 3: Can I use numerical methods to solve this equation?

Yes, numerical methods such as Euler's method, Runge-Kutta method, or the shooting method can also be used to solve this equation. These methods can be helpful when the equation is difficult to solve analytically.

Question 4: Are there any special cases I should consider when solving this equation?

Yes, there are some special cases to consider. For example, if the exponential term on the right side of the equation is equal to zero, the equation simplifies to y(4)-4y=0, which has a characteristic equation with repeated roots. This means the solution will involve a linear combination of exponentials and polynomials.

Question 5: How can I verify if my solution to this equation is correct?

You can verify your solution by substituting it back into the original equation and checking if it satisfies the equation. Additionally, you can also use graphing software to plot the solution and see if it matches the behavior of the original equation.