4x4 Matrix with rank B=4 and B^2=3

In summary, the author proves that det(AB) = det(A) det(B) by showing that det(A) satisfies (1)-(3) and that det(A) = det(B)
Petrus
Hello MHB,
"Can we construct a \(\displaystyle 4x4\) Matrix \(\displaystyle B\) so that rank \(\displaystyle B=4\) but rank \(\displaystyle B^2=3\)"
My thought:
we got one condition for this to work is that det \(\displaystyle B=0\) and det \(\displaystyle B^2 \neq 0\) and B also have to be a upper/lower or identity Matrix. And this Will not work.. I am wrong or can I explain this in a better way?

Regards,
\(\displaystyle |\pi\rangle\)

Physics news on Phys.org
Petrus said:
"Can we construct a \(\displaystyle 4x4\) Matrix \(\displaystyle B\) so that rank \(\displaystyle B=4\) but rank \(\displaystyle B^2=3\)"
My thought:
we got one condition for this to work is that det \(\displaystyle B=0\) and det \(\displaystyle B^2 \neq 0\)
It's the other way around: $\mathop{\text{rank}}(B)=4\iff\det(B)\ne0$ and $\mathop{\text{rank}}(B^2)=3\implies\det(B^2)=0$. But you are right that this is impossible because $\det(B^2)=(\det(B))^2$.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
It's the other way around: $\mathop{\text{rank}}(B)=4\iff\det(B)\ne0$ and $\mathop{\text{rank}}(B^2)=3\implies\det(B^2)=0$. But you are right that this is impossible because $\det(B^2)=(\det(B))^2$.
Hello Evgeny.Makarov,
thanks for fast respond and I meant that! And thanks for showing me this I did not know that $\det(B^2)=(\det(B))^2$ That Was what I Was looking for

Regards,

Last edited:
An alternative proof (without using determinants):

Consider the linear map $B:\mathbb{R}^4\to \mathbb{R}^4,\; x\to Bx.$ As $\operatorname{rank}B=4,$ $\operatorname{nullity}B=0,$ which implies $B$ is bijective. But the composition of bijective maps is bijective, so $\operatorname{rank}B^2=4.$

Another formulation:

As rank(B) = 4, B is surjective, that is, B(R4) = R4 (for this is what rank means: the dimension of the image space (or column space) of B, and R4 is the ONLY 4-dimensional subspace of R4​).

Consequently, B2(R4) = B(B(R4)) = B(R4) = R4, from which we conclude B2 is likewise surjective, and thus rank(B2) = 4 as well.

(I only post this to indicate one need not even invoke the rank-nullity theorem).

Evgeny.Makarov said:
this is impossible because $\det(B^2)=(\det(B))^2$.
Now that I think about I remember a sats that said \(\displaystyle |AB|=|A||B|\) but in this case \(\displaystyle A=B\) hmm I need to find the proof for this.

Regards,

I saw one neat proof of $\det(AB)=\det(A)\det(B)$ in Linear Algebra and Its Applications by Gilbert Strang. He defines $\det(\cdot)$ as a function satisfying three properties:

(1) $\det(I)=1$ where $I$ is the identity matrix;
(2) it changes sign when two adjacent rows are swapped;
(3) it is linear on the first row.

Signed volume in an orthonormal basis satisfies these properties, so this definition is much more intuitive than the Leibniz formula, which is derivable from (1)–(3).

Now, to prove that $\det(AB)=\det(A)\det(B)$, fix $B$ and consider $d(A)=\det(AB)/\det(B)$. It is possible to show that $d(A)$ satisfies (1)–(3), and so $d(A)=\det(A)$.

Now that I looked at the StackExchange link, this is answer #2, which is highest-ranked.

1. What is a 4x4 matrix?

A 4x4 matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or variables arranged in four rows and four columns. It is commonly used in computer graphics, physics, and engineering for representing mathematical transformations and systems of equations.

2. What does it mean for a matrix to have a rank of B=4?

The rank of a matrix refers to the number of linearly independent rows or columns in the matrix. In this case, a rank of B=4 means that there are four linearly independent rows or columns in the 4x4 matrix.

3. What is the significance of having a rank of B=4 in a 4x4 matrix?

A rank of B=4 in a 4x4 matrix means that the matrix has full rank, which indicates that all four rows and columns are linearly independent. This is important in solving systems of equations and performing mathematical transformations using the matrix.

4. What does B^2=3 mean in the context of a 4x4 matrix?

B^2=3 represents the square of the rank of the matrix. In this case, it means that the square of the rank of the 4x4 matrix is equal to 3. This can provide information about the properties of the matrix and its solutions.

5. How can a 4x4 matrix with rank B=4 and B^2=3 be useful in scientific applications?

This type of matrix can be useful in a variety of scientific applications, such as in physics and engineering. It can be used to represent and solve systems of linear equations, perform transformations in computer graphics, and analyze data in various fields of science.