5 Vector Field Proofs - apparently easy

In summary, the conversation is about finding the gradient of two scalars multiplied together and how the product rule can be applied to find it. The person is struggling to understand how to use the dot product and cross product in this situation. Another person suggests using the regular derivative and applying the product rule.
thomas49th

Homework Statement

http://gyazo.com/94783c14f2d2d05e62e479ab33c73830

Homework Equations

I know the dot product and cross product, but even for the first one I don't see how either helps.

The Attempt at a Solution

1. the gradient of the 2 scalars multiplied together (not crossed or dotted just multiplied)
I know that the derivative of a scalar is a vector, but that won't help here

Can someone put me out of my misery?
Thomas

Physics news on Phys.org
The ith component of ##\nabla(\phi\psi)## is given by ##\frac{\partial}{\partial x_i} (\phi\psi)##. That derivative is the regular old derivative you know and love, so what do you get when you apply the product rule?

1. What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical concept that assigns a vector to each point in a given space. These vectors represent the direction and magnitude of a physical quantity, such as force or velocity, at that point in the space.

2. What is the purpose of vector field proofs?

Vector field proofs are used to show the properties and behaviors of vector fields, such as their divergence or curl, and to verify mathematical equations or theorems related to them.

3. How are vector field proofs typically presented?

Vector field proofs are typically presented using mathematical equations and diagrams to illustrate the concepts and calculations involved.

4. Are vector field proofs considered easy or difficult?

This can vary depending on the complexity of the proof and the level of mathematical understanding of the person attempting it. Some vector field proofs may be relatively simple, while others can be quite challenging.

5. What are some real-world applications of vector field proofs?

Vector field proofs have many applications in physics, engineering, and other sciences. For example, they can be used to model fluid flow, electromagnetic fields, and weather patterns.