500cc 50hp electric motor swap

In summary, the conversation discusses swapping an engine for a more powerful one for a 1993 ex500 motorcycle. The desired specs for the new motor are 50 HP, 31 ft-lbs torque, and top speed of 130mph, with a focus on getting a DC-liquid cooled motor. The person is also looking for a range of 100 miles and mentions the possibility of using a 15 or 20kw motor. They reference a website that features electric performance motorcycles, including the Brammo Empulse which meets their desired specifications.
ckcurtis
Hi, I own a 1993 ex500 with that is having engine problems, I would like to swap the motor for one that is has more or equal power. The best specs I can come up with are these the motor puts on the rear wheel, HP 50, Torque 31 ft-lbs, top speed 130mph, I am looking into getting a DC-liquid cooled motor.

Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

What is your requirement for range? 50 HP will drain an extra large car battery in just about one minute. But if your goal is to drag race for 1/4 mile, that's no problem.

What other electric motorcycles have you seen? How many HP? How big are the batteries?

Here is a good summary of current electric performance motorcycles:

http://www.thechicecologist.com/2015/05/top-electric-motorcycles/
mission-r-300x227.png

I am looking it
anorlunda said:
:welcome:

What is your requirement for range? 50 HP will drain an extra large car battery in just about one minute. But if your goal is to drag race for 1/4 mile, that's no problem.

What other electric motorcycles have you seen? How many HP? How big are the batteries?
Well maybe I could get away with a 15 or 20kw motor I'd be happy if it went 90 tops. I plan for a 100 mile range. Something like this http://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/motenergy-1302-water-cooled-brushless.html

1. What is a "500cc 50hp electric motor swap"?

A "500cc 50hp electric motor swap" refers to the process of replacing an existing internal combustion engine in a vehicle with an electric motor with a 500cc engine displacement and 50 horsepower output. This is commonly done in order to convert a gasoline-powered vehicle to an electric-powered one.

2. Why would someone want to do a "500cc 50hp electric motor swap"?

There are several reasons why someone might want to do a "500cc 50hp electric motor swap". This includes reducing carbon emissions and dependence on fossil fuels, as well as potentially saving money on fuel costs in the long run. Additionally, electric motors can offer smoother and quieter performance compared to traditional engines.

3. How difficult is it to do a "500cc 50hp electric motor swap"?

The difficulty of a "500cc 50hp electric motor swap" can vary depending on the specific vehicle and the expertise of the person performing the swap. It typically involves removing the existing engine and replacing it with the electric motor, as well as installing a battery pack and controller. It is recommended to have experience and knowledge in mechanics and electronics before attempting this type of swap.

4. What are the potential challenges or drawbacks of a "500cc 50hp electric motor swap"?

Some potential challenges or drawbacks of a "500cc 50hp electric motor swap" may include the high cost of the components needed, including the electric motor, battery pack, and controller. There may also be limitations in terms of range and charging time compared to traditional gasoline-powered vehicles. Additionally, the conversion process may require specialized knowledge and tools.

5. Are there any benefits to a "500cc 50hp electric motor swap" besides reducing emissions?

Aside from reducing emissions and potentially saving money on fuel costs, there are other benefits to a "500cc 50hp electric motor swap". These can include a smoother and quieter driving experience, as well as potentially lower maintenance costs due to the simpler design of electric motors compared to traditional engines. Electric motors also have instant torque, providing quicker acceleration compared to traditional engines.