Electric motor on the wheels of an RC-car

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics project involving an RC-car and the calculation of torque and acceleration. The team has modified the car with stronger batteries and is trying to figure out how torque relates to the car's motion. They have observed that as the car accelerates, the force exerted on the road by the wheels decreases and the static friction kicks in. The force exerted on the road can be calculated using torque and the distance to the contact point. The power of the motor is also mentioned, which is determined by the current flowing through the coil and the induced voltage, which is proportional to the car's angular velocity. Using these equations, it is possible to estimate at what speed the torque is no longer sufficient for slipping.
Runei
Hello

Im doing a physics project and I am trying to come up with an idea for calculating the torque done by an electric motor on the wheels of an RC-car, and the resulting acceleration of the car.

We have modified the car with some stronger batteries, and now we are in a dilemma.

Each rear wheel is driven by its own motor and when we set the car to go forwards the motors turn fully on (Theres no gradual rise in the current).
This means that the wheels at first begin to slide.

All we need to to is make some measurements, and we need to find out how torque has something to do with the cars translational motion.

---- WHEELS SPINNING ----

I have deduced so far, that when the motors turn on, and the wheels begin to spin, the force exerted on the road by the wheels must be greater than the force the static friction is capable of exerting on the wheels. And thus, the wheels begin to spin, and the force exerted on the wheels is now the kinetic friction.

[tex]F_{k,fric}[/tex]=[tex]\mu_{k}\cdot m_{car}[/tex][tex]\cdot g[/tex] (Because the normal force is equal to the gravitational force.

The force due to kinetic friction exerts a force on the wheels and thus applying a torque on the wheels, slowing the angular velocity. Also the friction force accelerations the center of mass of the wheels (the axle) and thus the car accelerates, with an acceleration given by

[tex]\frac{F_{k,fric}}{m_{car}}[/tex]

I know that at some point when the car has picked up some speed, the wheels "grip" the road and then it is the static friction that accelerates the car.
If that is correct the force exerted on the road by the wheels must decrease with increasing velocity of the car, and at some point the force must come below a given point, and the static friction kicks in.

How can I calculate how the force exerted on the road? (I did it with torque, since force is torque dividid by the distance to the place where the contact is)
How can I calculate when the velocity of the car is high enough for the static frictio to kick in?

Physics news on Phys.org

The force exerted on the road is equal to torque divided by radius for the no slip case (|T / r| < us * Fn). If you've got slip the force will be equal to kinetic friction. You would have to reduce the torque to get rid of the slip. There is no velocity dependency in this friction model.

There are more complex tire friction models where the friction coefficient depends on tire slip. Starting at 100% slip(car standing still) the friction coefficient will increase until its maximum as the car is accelerating.
slipgraph.gif

Runei said:
How can I calculate how the force exerted on the road? (I did it with torque, since force is torque dividid by the distance to the place where the contact is)
How can I calculate when the velocity of the car is high enough for the static frictio to kick in?

The only thing that stay constant throughout the process is the power.

the power ([tex]P[/tex]) of the motor is (in SI units):

[tex]P=T\omega[/tex]

[tex]T[/tex] is the torque and [tex]\omega[/tex] is the angular velocity. The same equation holds for the power at the wheel (if there is a gear ratio between the two) with its respective torque and ang. vel. (the power is the same).

And for the car:

[tex]P=Fv[/tex]

[tex]F[/tex] is the friction force at the wheel and [tex]v[/tex] is the car velocity. The power is still the same as the one from the wheel or the engine.

Since the power is determine by the motor, as the car velocity increases, the friction force needed goes down.

Don't know exactly what you're looking for, but these equations might help.

For an ideal motor, the torque is proportional to current flowing through the coil. The later is determined by the net voltage across coil via Ohm's law.

[tex]\tau = k I = k \frac{V - V_i}{R}[/tex]

Here, R is resistance of the coil, Vi is induced voltage, V is applied voltage, and k is a constant to be determined experimentally.

Induced voltage is proportional to angular velocity, and knowing maximum angular velocity of the motor with no load, it's easy to estimate.

[tex]V_i = \frac{\omega}{\omega_{max}} V[/tex]

Where ω is angular velocity and ωmax is maximum angular velocity achieved under no load and applied voltage V.

Using all of this, you should be able to estimate at what speed the torque is no longer sufficient for slipping.

Last edited:

Hello,

I can provide some insight into your dilemma. First, let's review the basic principles involved in the situation. The electric motor on the wheels of an RC-car is responsible for providing the necessary torque to move the car and its resulting acceleration. Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object, and in this case, it is the force applied by the motor to the wheels. The acceleration of the car is directly related to the torque applied by the motor.

Now, let's address your question about calculating the torque and resulting acceleration of the car. To do this, you will need to measure the force applied by the motor and the distance from the center of the wheel to the point where the force is applied. This will give you the torque. You can also measure the mass of the car to determine its inertia, which is the resistance to rotational motion. With these values, you can use the equation Torque = Force x Distance to calculate the torque applied by the motor.

Next, you have correctly identified that the force exerted on the road by the wheels must be greater than the force of static friction for the wheels to begin spinning. As the car accelerates, the force of kinetic friction will decrease and the force of static friction will increase, eventually reaching a point where the wheels will "grip" the road and the car will accelerate with the force of static friction. To calculate when this point will occur, you can use the equation F_{static}= \mu_{static} \cdot m_{car} \cdot g, where \mu_{static} is the coefficient of static friction.

In conclusion, to calculate the torque and resulting acceleration of the car, you will need to measure the force and distance from the center of the wheel to the point where the force is applied. You can then use these values to determine the torque and acceleration. Additionally, you can use the equation for static friction to determine when the wheels will "grip" the road and the car will begin to accelerate with the force of static friction. I hope this helps with your project. Good luck!

1. How does an electric motor on the wheels of an RC-car work?

An electric motor on the wheels of an RC-car works by converting electrical energy into mechanical energy through the use of electromagnetism. When an electric current is passed through a wire, it creates a magnetic field that interacts with permanent magnets in the motor, causing the motor to rotate and power the wheels of the RC-car.

2. What type of battery is needed to power an electric motor on the wheels of an RC-car?

The type of battery needed to power an electric motor on the wheels of an RC-car is typically a rechargeable lithium-ion battery. These batteries have a high energy density and can provide enough power to run the motor and control the movement of the RC-car.

3. How can the speed of an RC-car with an electric motor on the wheels be controlled?

The speed of an RC-car with an electric motor on the wheels can be controlled through the use of a speed controller. This device regulates the amount of power that is supplied to the motor, allowing the user to adjust the speed of the RC-car with a remote control or transmitter.

4. Can an electric motor on the wheels of an RC-car be upgraded?

Yes, an electric motor on the wheels of an RC-car can be upgraded to a more powerful motor to increase the speed and performance of the car. However, it is important to make sure that the upgraded motor is compatible with the RC-car and its battery.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when using an RC-car with an electric motor on the wheels?

Yes, there are some safety precautions to take when using an RC-car with an electric motor on the wheels. It is important to always follow the manufacturer's instructions and guidelines for charging and handling the battery. It is also recommended to wear protective gear, such as goggles and gloves, when operating the RC-car to avoid any injuries.