1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

6th and 7th states of matter

1. Jul 18, 2011 #1
    hello friends,

Many of my friends tell me that there are 7 states of matter.Could anyone explain the 6th and 7th for me?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2011 #2
    well I believe it depends, ie some conisider a superfluid and a liquid the same state of matter where another person may consider them different states of matter, just like plasmas and gasses

4. Jul 18, 2011 #3

SpectraCat

Science Advisor

I can come up with liquid, solid, gas, plasma and Bose-Einstein Condensate. I wouldn't consider superfluid to be a state of matter, because it is a mixture of a normal liquid and a BEC. There is another state of matter which has been hypothesized, but I don't think has been conclusively demonstrated to exist. It is called Rydberg-matter (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rydberg_matter), and consists of a regular array of Rydberg atoms, which are atoms where one of the electrons is in a very highly-excited state, so that the atom can be considered as a loose ion-electron pair.

I have no idea what the seventh state might be.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  5. Jul 18, 2011 #4
    It may depend on how the "state" is defined.
    Using the more specific term of "phase", as in phase transitions, there are many more than 7.
    A solid can have several crystal phases, with well defined phase transitions.
    Some materials have one (ore more) liquid crystal phase (or "state"?) between crystal and liquid. Actually there are many different liquid crystal phases.

6. Jul 18, 2011 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Maybe you should ask whoever told you that?!

7. Jul 20, 2011 #6

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

I would say they probably mean Superfluids and Quark-Gluon Plasmas.

But as has been pointed out, the exact number depends on how you define a state of matter.

Claude.

8. Jul 20, 2011 #7
    The 6th matter shouldnot be considered as a electronic configurated pair of a liquid and a BEC making it just like in terms of normal sane beings as super liquid

9. Jul 20, 2011 #8
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook