What are the 6th and 7th states of matter?

In summary, many of my friends tell me that there are 7 states of matter. Liquid, solid, gas, plasma, Bose-Einstein Condensate, Rydberg-matter, and finally, I don't know what the seventh state might be. Using the more specific term of "phase", there are many more than 7.
ananthan345
hello friends,

Many of my friends tell me that there are 7 states of matter.Could anyone explain the 6th and 7th for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
well I believe it depends, ie some conisider a superfluid and a liquid the same state of matter where another person may consider them different states of matter, just like plasmas and gasses

ananthan345 said:
hello friends,

Many of my friends tell me that there are 7 states of matter.Could anyone explain the 6th and 7th for me?

I can come up with liquid, solid, gas, plasma and Bose-Einstein Condensate. I wouldn't consider superfluid to be a state of matter, because it is a mixture of a normal liquid and a BEC. There is another state of matter which has been hypothesized, but I don't think has been conclusively demonstrated to exist. It is called Rydberg-matter (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rydberg_matter), and consists of a regular array of Rydberg atoms, which are atoms where one of the electrons is in a very highly-excited state, so that the atom can be considered as a loose ion-electron pair.

I have no idea what the seventh state might be.

Last edited:
It may depend on how the "state" is defined.
Using the more specific term of "phase", as in phase transitions, there are many more than 7.
A solid can have several crystal phases, with well defined phase transitions.
Some materials have one (ore more) liquid crystal phase (or "state"?) between crystal and liquid. Actually there are many different liquid crystal phases.

ananthan345 said:
hello friends,

Maybe you should ask whoever told you that?!

I would say they probably mean Superfluids and Quark-Gluon Plasmas.

But as has been pointed out, the exact number depends on how you define a state of matter.

Claude.

The 6th matter shouldnot be considered as a electronic configurated pair of a liquid and a BEC making it just like in terms of normal sane beings as super liquid

What are the 6th and 7th states of matter?

The 6th and 7th states of matter are two additional forms of matter that have been theorized and studied by scientists. These states are known as the Bose-Einstein condensate and the fermionic condensate.

How are the Bose-Einstein condensate and fermionic condensate different from the other states of matter?

The Bose-Einstein condensate and fermionic condensate are different from the other states of matter because they occur at extremely low temperatures and involve the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

What is the Bose-Einstein condensate?

The Bose-Einstein condensate is a state of matter where a group of boson particles, such as atoms, become so cold and densely packed that they merge into a single entity with quantum properties. This was first theorized by Albert Einstein and Satyendra Nath Bose in the 1920s.

What is the fermionic condensate?

The fermionic condensate is a state of matter where fermion particles, such as electrons, are cooled to extremely low temperatures and exhibit wave-like behavior, similar to that of a Bose-Einstein condensate. This state was first created in 2003 by scientists at the University of Colorado.

What are the potential applications of the Bose-Einstein condensate and fermionic condensate?

The Bose-Einstein condensate and fermionic condensate have potential applications in quantum computing, superconductivity, and precision measurement. They also provide valuable insights into the behavior of matter at the quantum level and can help us better understand the fundamental laws of physics.