A 2cm diameter cylindrical solenoid of 10 loops and 20cm long

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the EMF, current, magnetic field, and self inductance of a 2cm diameter cylindrical solenoid in a perpendicular magnetic field that increases from 0.7Tesla to 2.7Tesla in 100ms. The use of equations such as B = μoNI/L and \Phi=∫B*dA are suggested to find the necessary values.
Physics8o8

Homework Statement

A 2cm diameter cylindrical solenoid of 10 loops and 20cm long is in a perpendicular magnetic field of 0.7Tesla directed away from you. The field increases to 2.7Tesla in 100ms. The loop has 8Ω.
What is the EMF?
What is the current?
What is the magnetic field of the center of the current?
What is the self inductance of the solenoid?

Homework Equations

Don't know where to start? Do I use the Bfield that the solenoid is in or the ΔB? When I used B with the eq: I=2radius / μN , I got an extreme current.

The Attempt at a Solution

Am I using the right equations?
eq: B = μNI / 2 radidus

Physics news on Phys.org

how do you find flux?

well flux is

[itex]\Phi[/itex]=∫B*dA

emf is the time rate of change of the magnetic field

EMF= -[itex]\frac{d\Phi}{dt}[/itex]

which in your case would be -(B2-B1)/t

To find the B field inside a solenoid you are going to need to do an amperian loop

to find i think B=μoNI/L

that should be enough to find what you need

Liquidxlax said:
how do you find flux?

well flux is

[itex]\Phi[/itex]=∫B*dA

emf is the time rate of change of the magnetic field

EMF= -[itex]\frac{d\Phi}{dt}[/itex]

which in your case would be -(B2-B1)/t

To find the B field inside a solenoid you are going to need to do an amperian loop

to find i think B=μoNI/L

that should be enough to find what you need

Thank you ... [itex]\Phi[/itex]=∫B*dA... This equation helped a lot.

1. What is the purpose of a cylindrical solenoid?

A cylindrical solenoid is a device used to generate a magnetic field. It is commonly used in electronic devices such as speakers, relays, and motors.

2. How does the number of loops affect the strength of a cylindrical solenoid?

The more loops a solenoid has, the stronger its magnetic field will be. This is because each loop contributes to the overall magnetic field, and more loops means a greater number of contributions.

3. What is the significance of the diameter and length of a cylindrical solenoid?

The diameter and length of a cylindrical solenoid can affect its magnetic field strength and distribution. A larger diameter may result in a stronger and more uniform magnetic field, while a longer length may increase the overall strength of the solenoid.

4. Can the direction of the magnetic field be changed in a cylindrical solenoid?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic field in a cylindrical solenoid can be changed by reversing the direction of the current flowing through the loops. This is why solenoids are often used in devices that require a controllable and reversible magnetic field.

5. How is a cylindrical solenoid different from a coil?

A cylindrical solenoid is a type of coil, but it is specifically designed to have a uniform magnetic field along its axis. It also typically has a larger diameter and fewer turns than a regular coil, making it more suited for generating a strong and uniform magnetic field.