A=3i + 2j +k and Bz = -1i +2j +Bk. |A + B| =6. Find Bk

  • Thread starter Thread starter bmchenry
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
bmchenry
Messages
9
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



2 vectors are given by A=3i + 2j +k and Bz = -1i +2j +Bk. A + B =6

Homework Equations



Find the two possible vlaues of Bz

The Attempt at a Solution



6 = sqrt (4 + 20 +Bzsquared)

I get one number to equal -4.87 but when I solve for the other I get it wrong on the online check
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Is that the absolute value of A + B = 6?
 
yes it is the absolute value 6, I thought the answer would be to just take the positive 3.87 and subtract 1 from it but that was wrong online
 
Ok well in the equation you've come up with you wouldn't just have B2. When you add the vectors you would end up with a term (1+B)2. What values can B take to make everything under square root add up to 36?
 
Did that and for one answer I got -4.87 which when you put it in the () and square it you get 36 or close enough that the online problem accepted the answer, I assumed that for the other number I just needed to take 3.87 and subtract the 1 which left me with 2.87, however when I plug that in it says it is incorrect, where is my mistake?
 
Can you formulate the problem in a better way? For example you know that:

[tex](B+1)^2 = 12[/tex]

How would you solve that for B.
 
Never mind but thanks, I figured it out the answer is 3, but I need help bisecting a vector can you help?
 
3? I would not have thought it would be, but the online thing might be accepting answers within certain ranges. It would be best to post a new thread to receive the maximum attention.