Need Help Finding the Angle Between Two Vectors

In summary, the cross product of vectors A and B is 7, and the angle between A and B is 98.13 degrees. This was found using the dot product and arccos function to avoid the ambiguity introduced by the arcsin function.
hardygirl989

Homework Statement

Two vectors are given by A = 3i + j and = -1i + 2j.
A) Find A x B <---This is the cross product not multiplication.
B) Find the angle between A and B.

Homework Equations

|AxB|=|A||B|sin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

A) I used the determinant to find the cross product as 3(2)-1(-1)=7 <---This answer is correct

B) I need help with this problem...
I tried |AxB|=|A||B|sin(theta) to get θ= arcsin( |AxB| / ( |A||B| )
|A|=√(Ax^2+Ay^2)=3.16
|B|=√(Bx^2+Ay^2)=2.24
Thus, θ= arcsin(7/((3.16)(2.24)))=81.8 °.

However, it says that it is the wrong answer and I don't know why. Can anyone please help?
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi hardygirl989, Welcome to Physics Forums.

hardygirl989 said:

Homework Statement

Two vectors are given by A = 3i + j and = -1i + 2j.
A) Find A x B <---This is the cross product not multiplication.
B) Find the angle between A and B.

Homework Equations

|AxB|=|A||B|sin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

A) I used the determinant to find the cross product as 3(2)-1(-1)=7 <---This answer is correct

B) I need help with this problem...
I tried |AxB|=|A||B|sin(theta) to get θ= arcsin( |AxB| / ( |A||B| )
|A|=√(Ax^2+Ay^2)=3.16
|B|=√(Bx^2+Ay^2)=2.24
Thus, θ= arcsin(7/((3.16)(2.24)))=81.8 °.

However, it says that it is the wrong answer and I don't know why. Can anyone please help?
Thank you.

The problem is, there is an ambiguity introduced by the arcsin() function when the angle between the vectors exceeds 90 degrees. If you think about it, the sine of 90°-x is the same as the sine of 90°+x, as both angles "straddle" the y-axis. The arcsin function will only return one of the angles, and that would be the smaller of the two choices (in the first quadrant).

Note that the arccos() function doesn't have the same issue for angles in the 1st and 2nd quadrants. Maybe a dot product approach is in your future :smile:

Alternatively, find the angles associated with both vectors and take the difference.

Yes! I got the correct answer! Thank you! I was not even thinking about the ambiguity. :)

Dot product of A and B = |A||B|cos(theta)
so theta = arccos[Dot product of A and B / ( |A||B| ) ]
theta = arccos { [ (3)(-1)+(2)(1) ] / [ (3.16)(2.24) ] } = 98.13 degrees.

1. What is the angle between two vectors?

The angle between two vectors is the angle formed by the two vectors when they are placed tail-to-tail or head-to-head. It is measured in degrees or radians.

2. How do you find the angle between two vectors?

To find the angle between two vectors, you need to use the dot product formula, which is the product of the magnitudes of the two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them. The angle can be calculated using the inverse cosine function.

3. Can the angle between two vectors be negative?

No, the angle between two vectors cannot be negative. It is always between 0 and 180 degrees (or 0 and π radians). The direction of the angle can be indicated by a positive or negative sign, with positive indicating a counterclockwise direction and negative indicating a clockwise direction.

4. What is the difference between the angle between two vectors and the angle of rotation?

The angle between two vectors is the angle formed by the two vectors themselves. On the other hand, the angle of rotation is the angle at which a vector is rotated around a fixed point. The two angles may have the same numerical value, but they are measured and interpreted differently.

5. Are there any special cases when finding the angle between two vectors?

Yes, there are two special cases when finding the angle between two vectors. The first is when the two vectors are parallel, in which case the angle between them is either 0 or 180 degrees (or 0 or π radians). The second is when one of the vectors has a magnitude of 0, in which case the angle between them is undefined.