A bit lost on the RC circuit differential equation

In summary, This is a first-order linear differential equation that can be solved using a standard method. After calculating the integrating factor and integrating both sides, it is necessary to include the arbitrary constant in the final solution. In the case of this specific problem, the charge on the capacitor approaches the EMF of the power supply times the capacitance as time increases indefinitely. The initial charge on the capacitor can be found by setting the voltage across the capacitor at t=0 equal to the supply voltage.
planck42

Homework Statement

Solve the differential equation [tex]R\frac{dq}{dt} + \frac{q}{C} = v_0[/tex]

R is resistance, q is charge, t is time, C is capacitance, and [tex]v_0[/tex] is the EMF of the power supply.

Homework Equations

First-order linear differential equation solving method

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a first-order linear differential equation, so let's apply the standard steps to solve it. First, I calculated the integrating factor to be [tex]e^{\frac{t}{RC}}[/tex]. Upon multiplying through by this factor and integrating, I got [tex]\frac{dq}{dt}e^{\frac{t}{RC}} + qe^{\frac{t}{RC}}[/tex] on the left side, and [tex]\int{\frac{v_0}{R}e^{\frac{t}{RC}}[/tex] on the right side. This integrates to [tex]v_{0}Ce^{\frac{t}{RC}}[/tex], neglecting the arbitrary constant. So [tex]qe^{\frac{t}{RC}}=v_{0}Ce^{\frac{t}{RC}}[/tex], which simplifies to [tex]q=v_{0}C[/tex], an unsurprising but disappointing result since I'm trying to find q in terms of time. Perhaps there is something wrong with one of my steps? This has been bugging me for quite some time and I would appreciate a kick in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't neglect the arbitrary constant, naturally. Include the arbitrary constant, and they you'll have the right answer.

To find the arbitrary constant, you will need to know q(t) at t=0, and use that to solve.

Does that make sense? The arbitrary constant MUST BE INCLUDED.

I didn't check the rest of your derivation too thoroughly, but it looks right. Try what I said and see if that doesn't give you the right answer.

(To see if it's the right answer, differentiate and see if it works)

AUMathTutor said:
You can't neglect the arbitrary constant, naturally. Include the arbitrary constant, and they you'll have the right answer.

To find the arbitrary constant, you will need to know q(t) at t=0, and use that to solve.

Does that make sense? The arbitrary constant MUST BE INCLUDED.

I didn't check the rest of your derivation too thoroughly, but it looks right. Try what I said and see if that doesn't give you the right answer.

(To see if it's the right answer, differentiate and see if it works)

I believe that [tex]q_0[/tex] is zero since there is no current flowing and therefore no charge on the capacitor.

planck42 said:
I believe that [tex]q_0[/tex] is zero since there is no current flowing and therefore no charge on the capacitor.

The capacitor's q(t) depends on the voltage across the capacitor, not the current. So if v(t=0) across the capacitor is the same as the supply voltage, then there is no current through the series resistor to drop the voltage, and your solution is correct. However, as AU is alluding to, if v(t=0) = 0, then what happens? You will get a charge buildup that has a form involving the exponential.

And BTW, I think you should consider a negative sign in your exponent... The physical sitation of this circuit will have exponential decays in it, not exponential growths...

berkeman said:
The capacitor's q(t) depends on the voltage across the capacitor, not the current. So if v(t=0) across the capacitor is the same as the supply voltage, then there is no current through the series resistor to drop the voltage, and your solution is correct. However, as AU is alluding to, if v(t=0) = 0, then what happens? You will get a charge buildup that has a form involving the exponential.

And BTW, I think you should consider a negative sign in your exponent... The physical sitation of this circuit will have exponential decays in it, not exponential growths...

Thank you! I forgot that the capacitor only cares about the potential difference across itself(and its own capacitance).

EDIT: I now understand that it is part of the transient term [tex]q_{0}e^{\frac{-t}{RC}}[/tex], so that the charge on the capacitor approaches [tex]v_{0}C[/tex] as time increases indefinitely. If v(t=0) is zero, then it appears that the only way for it to be true is if [tex]q_{0}=-v_{0}C[/tex]

Last edited:
No, q(0) = 0. Initially, there is no charge on the capacitor because, simply put, no charge has made it there yet.

In the end, in the limit, there will be Q = CV of charge on the capacitor. It will approach this exponentially. Basically, you have

q*exp(t/RC) = CVexp(t/RC) + k
q = CV + k*exp(-t/RC)

Literally all you need to do now is say that when t=0, q=q(0) and solve for k. End of story. Done.

What is an RC circuit differential equation?

An RC circuit differential equation is a mathematical representation of the behavior of a circuit consisting of a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series. It describes the relationship between the voltage across the capacitor and the current flowing through the circuit over time.

How is an RC circuit differential equation derived?

An RC circuit differential equation is derived using Kirchhoff's laws, which state that the sum of the voltage drops in a closed loop circuit must be equal to the sum of the voltage sources. By applying these laws to a circuit with a resistor and capacitor, we can derive an equation that relates the voltage and current in the circuit.

What is the solution to an RC circuit differential equation?

The solution to an RC circuit differential equation is a function that describes the behavior of the circuit over time. It is typically written in the form of an exponential decay or growth, depending on the values of the resistance and capacitance in the circuit.

How do the values of R and C affect the behavior of an RC circuit?

The values of R and C in an RC circuit affect the time constant, which is the length of time it takes for the voltage or current to reach a certain percentage of its final value. A larger R or C will result in a longer time constant, meaning it will take longer for the voltage or current to reach its final value.

Can an RC circuit differential equation be used to analyze other types of circuits?

Yes, an RC circuit differential equation can be used to analyze other types of circuits, such as RL (resistor-inductor) circuits. However, the specific equation and solution will differ depending on the components and configuration of the circuit.