A boat travels down stream, then travels up stream

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kingyou123
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Boat Stream
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Kingyou123
Messages
98
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


What is the time needed to complete a trip if v = V.

Homework Equations


t=(2Dv)/v^2-V^2)

The Attempt at a Solution


I drew a diagram and tried plugging values in.
 
Attachments
  • physics.PNG
    physics.PNG
    12.4 KB · Views: 526
  • Snapshot.jpg
    Snapshot.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 494
Physics news on Phys.org
Kingyou123 said:
What is the time needed to complete a trip if v = V.
Think about what this means.

Will a boat travel upstream if it's velocity is equal to that of the downstream water?
Have you ever walked on a treadmill? What speed must you walk at to stay on the treadmill?

Kingyou123 said:

The Attempt at a Solution


I drew a diagram and tried plugging values in.

And what was the result?
 
Terrible diagram but why don't you attempt am answer?
 
Kingyou123 said:

I drew a diagram and tried plugging values in.
That's not a helpful description of your calculations. Be more specific
 
billy_joule said:
Think about what this means.

Will a boat travel upstream if it's velocity is equal to that of the downstream water?
Have you ever walked on a treadmill? What speed must you walk at to stay on the treadmill?
And what was the result?
So the velocity of the boat has to be greater than the velocity of the current when rowing back. I made a force diagram with vectors. I always have problems with problems that don't give numbers... so would v<V?
 
Last edited: