1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A body moving in a straight line with constant accelaration

1. Nov 23, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A body moving in a straight line with constant accelaration takes 3 seconds and 5 seconds to cover two successive distances of 1m.Find the accelaration?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2011 #2
    Re: accelaration

Constant Acceleration. Hint is in the question.

4. Nov 23, 2011 #3

i didnt get u

5. Nov 23, 2011 #4

Hmm, seems impossible without more information (i.e. initial or final velocity). Did you copy the question down properly?

6. Nov 23, 2011 #5

question is right

7. Nov 23, 2011 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It looks straight forward to me. Take the initial speed to be v and acceleration to be a. Take t= 0 at the beginning of the first second in which the object goes 3 feet.

The distance such an object covers is t seconds is [itex]vt+ (1/2)at^2[/itex]. In one second, it will have gone distance v+ (1/2)a. In two seconds it will have gone distance 2v+ 2a. What distance did it go the second second? Set those equal to 3 and 5 and you have two equations to solve for v and a.

8. Nov 23, 2011 #7

So simple, nice one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook