• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

A body moving in a straight line with constant accelaration

• Thread starter VICKZZA
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A body moving in a straight line with constant accelaration takes 3 seconds and 5 seconds to cover two successive distances of 1m.Find the accelaration?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Answers and Replies

Constant Acceleration. Hint is in the question.

i didnt get u

Hmm, seems impossible without more information (i.e. initial or final velocity). Did you copy the question down properly?

question is right

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

It looks straight forward to me. Take the initial speed to be v and acceleration to be a. Take t= 0 at the beginning of the first second in which the object goes 3 feet.

The distance such an object covers is t seconds is [itex]vt+ (1/2)at^2[/itex]. In one second, it will have gone distance v+ (1/2)a. In two seconds it will have gone distance 2v+ 2a. What distance did it go the second second? Set those equal to 3 and 5 and you have two equations to solve for v and a.

It looks straight forward to me. Take the initial speed to be v and acceleration to be a. Take t= 0 at the beginning of the first second in which the object goes 3 feet.

The distance such an object covers is t seconds is [itex]vt+ (1/2)at^2[/itex]. In one second, it will have gone distance v+ (1/2)a. In two seconds it will have gone distance 2v+ 2a. What distance did it go the second second? Set those equal to 3 and 5 and you have two equations to solve for v and a.
So simple, nice one.