A Book Similar to Halliday/Resnick Part 2.

• Thread starter eliya
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's plans to take an intro course in Heat, Sound, and Light next quarter and their dissatisfaction with the recommended textbook, which is based on Halliday and Resnick. They mention finding both books difficult to understand and express interest in finding a better textbook with clearer explanations. The other speaker suggests trying Serway and Jewett as an alternative.
eliya
Next quarter I'm going to take an intro course in Heat, Sound, and Light. That the actual course description unfortunately. We're not using Halliday and Resnick but https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0471370991/?tag=pfamazon01-20, which is based on Halliday and Resnick and is a lot like it. The chapters are almost all in the same order, the explanations are mostly the same, and so are the problems.
I find both books to be cumbersome and hard to understand sometimes. In the previous quarter there were a few chapters I barely understood just from reading and needed the professor's guidance (I know that might still be the case even with a good book). I was wondering what book out there is covering the same material (or even more), but with better explanations.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Halliday and Resnick is a very standard text, and it's been around forever. You probably won't find a book which is "better". You could try Serway and Jewett. I used it as a Freshman and didn't have any problem with it.

1. What is the main focus of "A Book Similar to Halliday/Resnick Part 2"?

The main focus of this book is on advanced topics in physics, particularly in classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. It builds upon the fundamental concepts and principles introduced in the first part of the series.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners in physics?

No, this book is intended for students who have a strong foundation in physics and are ready to delve into more complex topics. It is recommended for advanced undergraduate or graduate-level courses.

3. How is this book different from the original Halliday/Resnick Part 2?

This book follows a similar structure and covers similar topics as the original Halliday/Resnick Part 2, but it may have a different approach or presentation of the material. It also includes additional exercises and problems for further practice.

4. Are there any online resources available for this book?

Yes, the author provides online resources such as lecture notes, practice problems, and solutions to selected problems on their website. These resources can be accessed by instructors and students for additional support.

5. Can this book be used as a reference for research in physics?

Yes, this book can serve as a valuable reference for advanced topics in physics. It covers a wide range of concepts and principles, and the detailed explanations and examples make it useful for further research and study.