Returning to School for Physics: A Brave and Determined New Start

• Thread starter Arturo N Cintron
  • Start date
In summary, returning to school for physics is a brave and determined new start. It requires a strong determination and dedication to learning complex concepts and solving challenging problems. However, with the right attitude and a passion for the subject, it can be a rewarding and fulfilling experience. It also opens up opportunities for further education and career advancements in fields such as engineering, research, and technology. With the ever-expanding scope of physics and its applications in our daily lives, embarking on this journey is a bold and courageous decision that can lead to a bright future.
Arturo N Cintron
To one and all, salutations and a very good day,

Well let me just get to it. I am one of the many 40+ people that are returning back to school to further a passion. physics believe it or not, has always been a passion of mine that i never pursued. As a young boy i always known i wanted to make a difference in this world, discover the unknown, etc.etc.. i can go on and on, but i will leave that for another thread.

I am a happily married man and father of 5 boys, i have worked in IT administration and security for 18 years and at this point in my life, after preaching to my boys if you do what you love you will never work a day in your life. i started to look at my life. now i have read my fair share of post of people with similar passions returning to school at my age. and i have done my fair share of homework and the wife and I have discussed what to come the next 10 years, and then some. and i have her full support as well as my sons.

And just a note, I am ready to do what i love and love what i do. as far as the money aspect that i see a lot of people bringing to the surface. I have had made my fair share of a very lucrative salary and was never truly happy or ever felt whole. soooooo.. i guess what I am saying is, hello physics world, I am here and will be starting in the jan 2017. which gives me a lot of time to prepare, reorganize and dust off my math skills from yesteryear.

I would like any and all advice that i can get, and trust me ..I have a thick skin so don't worry about me taking offense, I am a new yorker..lol. but some guidance, making connections, even connecting with some who are on the same path or took this path is what I am looking for. well, i guess this is it for now. I look forward to an active relationship with you all ..

thanks

Arturo N Cintron

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes cnh1995
Physics news on Phys.org
i got so hung up on the intro i forgot to add, i will be starting my BA in physics and will be going all the way for my doctorate. I know the kind of determination that i have from being in the military 1 tour in iraq, i can make opportunities happen, as the future unfolds. like one other user wrote, i believe he was a marine " Its better to regret the things you done, then regret the things you didnt."

Likes cnh1995
Hi Arturo.
smiley_sign_welcome.gif

The only advice I'd offer here is that you should hit the RETURN KEY at regular intervals in your typing.
thumbsup.gif

Thank you for that advice and I will take it to heart. But i was kind of nervous and sort of wrote what was in my heart at the time, and it probably sounded like a run on sentence. Hopefully my message was still clear. lol..

Thank you once again.

That sounds really awesome, Arturo. Welcome to the forum. 100% support. (insert clappy, clappy, smiley-face, rock on emojis here!)

Likes Arturo N Cintron
OmneBonum said:
That sounds really awesome, Arturo. Welcome to the forum. 100% support. (insert clappy, clappy, smiley-face, rock on emojis here!)

Thanks a bunch, I am really excited and looking forward to this.

NascentOxygen said:
The only advice I'd offer here is that you should hit the RETURN KEY at regular intervals in your typing.
http%3A%2F%2F113.imagebam.com%2Fdownload%2FFeRkJQ2lVXmxSZG9klrYkw%2F42568%2F425676317%2Fthumbsup.png
Arturo N Cintron said:
Thank you for that advice and I will take it to heart. But i was kind of nervous and sort of wrote what was in my heart at the time, and it probably sounded like a run on sentence
I fixed it for you. :smile:

Welcome to the PF!

berkeman said:
I fixed it for you. :smile:

Welcome to the PF!
You rock berkeman, thank you so much..lol. I have hidden this passion of mine for so many years and to finally pursue it and do it publicly.. well, yes it is hard. But I think I found a group that I can feel comfortable around and not ridiculed. yes, the ones closest to me, when i revealed my new path all had well...their own version of what's best for me...

Well, I won't go there but I am glad I found you guys, it seems like my wife and boys are the only ones in my corner..lol..

Likes berkeman
I wish you well in your new career path. Mature age students are respected by others for their determination, and as a group show a greater appreciation of the opportunities available.

This is true my friend, and thank you for the well wishes. I know I will strive to be an asset to our community and the school.

1. What are the benefits of returning to school for physics?

Returning to school for physics can open up a wide range of opportunities for you. Not only will you gain a deeper understanding of the world around you, but you will also develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are highly valued in many industries. Additionally, a degree in physics can lead to career paths in research, engineering, education, and more.

2. Is it too late to go back to school for physics?

It is never too late to pursue your passion for physics. Many successful physicists have started their academic journey later in life, and their unique perspectives and life experiences have only enhanced their understanding of the subject. With determination and hard work, you can achieve your academic goals at any age.

3. What are the challenges of returning to school for physics?

Returning to school for physics can be challenging, especially if you have been out of school for a while. You may have to adjust to a new learning environment, manage your time effectively, and balance your studies with other responsibilities. However, with dedication and support from your peers and professors, these challenges can be overcome.

4. How can I prepare for returning to school for physics?

Before returning to school for physics, it is essential to review fundamental concepts in math and science. This will help you to build a strong foundation for your studies. Additionally, you can reach out to current students or professors to get a better understanding of the coursework and any recommended resources.

5. What can I expect from a physics program?

A physics program will typically include a combination of lectures, lab work, and research projects. You can expect to learn about various topics such as mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics. You will also have the opportunity to work with advanced equipment and conduct experiments to apply your knowledge.