A certian Linear Algebra gimmick needed for a part of my project

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 1K views
aashish.v
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
1. I need to prove that for any matrix A(n,n) and a vector v(n,1) the following is true...

vTAv=vTATv


So far I wasn't able to think of anyway for proving this... any help will be appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I do understand intuitively how this can be true...
Because of the arrangement of the equation, both side of the equation gets the same value.
I am able to show that with small example,,

[tex] A=\left[\begin{array}{cc}<br /> p & q\\<br /> r & s<br /> \end{array}\right],v=\left[\begin{array}{cc}<br /> a & b\end{array}\right]<br /> <br /> \Rightarrow v'Av=v'A'v=a^{2}p+abr+abq+b^{2}s[/tex]

But I need rigorous proof for the same...

Thank you. :)
 
What is the dimension of vTAv and vTATv?
What is (vTAv)T? How do you transpose a matrix product?



ehild
 
aashish.v said:
I do understand intuitively how this can be true...
Because of the arrangement of the equation, both side of the equation gets the same value.
I am able to show that with small example,,

[tex] A=\left[\begin{array}{cc}<br /> p & q\\<br /> r & s<br /> \end{array}\right],v=\left[\begin{array}{cc}<br /> a & b\end{array}\right]<br /> <br /> \Rightarrow v'Av=v'A'v=a^{2}p+abr+abq+b^{2}s[/tex]

But I need rigorous proof for the same...

Thank you. :)

For two matrices A and B, ##\left(AB\right)^T=B^TA^T##. If you don't already know that prove it using sigma notation.
 
So this is what I understand...

since the equation [tex]v'Av[/tex] is a number... we can write...

[tex]v'Av=(v'Av)'=v'(v'A)'=v'A'v[/tex]

Am I correct?
 
Yes, that was I wanted you to do.

ehild
 
aashish.v, when you post a problem, include your work in the inital post. Without the work you show in your 2nd post, your 1st post would normally earn you a warning for an unacceptable homework request.