Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A challenging volume problem

1. Dec 9, 2011 #1
    Hello everyone
    This problem is similar to a problem that appeared sometime back on this website called "last geometry challenge, very difficult!"
    The problem was this: There is a circular field of grass of radius r surrounded by a fence. If aa sheep is tethered to the fence, how long should its leash be so that it eats only 1/2 of the grass in the circle.
    I propose making this into a 3D problem. Make the circle of grass a sphere of jelly surrounded by a spherical metal cage. How long should the leash be if an animal is tethered to the surrounding spherical metal cage so that it eats only 1/2 of the volume of jelly.
    Ill post the answer in a couple of days if anyone is interested.
    Julian

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2011 #2
    Since the volune of a sphere is
    V = (4 pi ) )r^44 / 3

Then the answer is somewhere between r and 2r.
    ( a range is an answer ) :)

4. Dec 10, 2011 #3
    I tried using this trick in high school. The teacher said what is sin342 or something like that and I put "something between -1 and 1". I got that question wrong.

5. Dec 12, 2011 #4
    I now get the leash to be 1/10 longer than the radius of the sphere.
    Is that correct?

6. Dec 13, 2011 #5
    Well, that is not the answer i got. Now that think about it, my solution may be wrong, but I cannot think why.
    What I did was this:
    I imagined the sphere to be resting onto of the x axis, directly on top of the origin. I then tied the leash to the origin. I found the equation of the sphere would be the circle x^2 + (y-r)^2 = r^2 rotated around the y axis. The volume swept out by the leash would be the circle x^2 + y^2 = l^2. I revolved the region bounded by these two curves around the y axis and set it equal to 1/2 * 4/3 * pi r^3. I assumed the radius to equal 1, since I figured the units of its length wouldn't change the answer.
    Then I set up some integrals, and solved. I am left with 8l^3-3l^4-8=0, which I solved numerically and I got 1.2285.
    The trouble is, what is the radius isn't one? Then the ratio 1:1.2285 isn't the same. If it is okay for the radius to be simply 1, then the answer is good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook