A combinatoric problem of real life.

• Thread starter S&S
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, the conversation discusses the number of directed graphs that can be generated from an adjacency list of a graph, taking into consideration the presence of cycles and the possibility of sink and source vertices. The total number of directed graphs is determined to be 2^15, assuming that each of the 15 unique edges can have two possible directions. The question of how to calculate the probability of a single vertex becoming a sink or source is also raised. The conversation concludes with a mention of applying concepts learned in discrete mathematics to create challenging propositions.
S&S
Here is an adjacency list of a graph:

1(2,4,5)
2(1,3,4,5,6,7)
3(2,5,6,7)
4(1,2,5)
5(1,2,3,4,6,7)
6(2,3,5,7)
7(2,3,5,6)

How many direct graphs, can this graph generates?

If cycles are not allowed, how many direct graph can we form? (The cycle is if we start from a vertex follow the dirction of every edge, we can go throught vertices not all of them and back to the original vertex we started.)

If cycles are not allowed, there is always the existence of sink and source vertices. ( sink is a vertex all directions are point into this vertex, source is just the opposite of sink.)

How to work out the probabiliy for every single vertex to become a source or sink. And thanks to the helps you guys offered me last year, I got a good mark on discrete maths. By the way, this's not my assignment. I just applying things I learned to make some tricky propositions.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
how many directed graphs? huh? would you like to reiterate the question?
are we assuming that we can remove some of these edge or that the adjacency list is directed/unidirected?

The adjacency list is a simple graph list, has no any direction. If we add two possible dirctions to every edge, then, I think we got 2^15 directed graphs, since there are 15 unique edges.

How about the rest of the question? I cannot figure out.

FAQ: A combinatoric problem of real life.

1. What is a combinatoric problem?

A combinatoric problem is a mathematical problem that involves counting or arranging objects in a specific way. It is a branch of mathematics that deals with combinations, permutations, and other related concepts.

2. How does combinatorics apply to real life?

Combinatorics has many practical applications in real life, such as in computer science, statistics, and genetics. It can be used to solve problems related to probability, optimization, and decision making.

3. Can you give an example of a combinatoric problem in real life?

One example is the "birthday problem," which asks how many people need to be in a room for there to be at least a 50% chance that two people share the same birthday. This problem is solved using combinatorics and probability.

4. What skills are needed to solve combinatoric problems?

Solving combinatoric problems requires a strong understanding of basic mathematical concepts, such as counting principles, permutations, and combinations. It also requires critical thinking, problem-solving, and logical reasoning skills.

5. Are there any real-life consequences of not solving combinatoric problems correctly?

While not solving a combinatoric problem correctly may not have immediate real-life consequences, it can lead to errors in decision making and problem solving. In fields such as computer science and genetics, incorrect combinatoric calculations can result in faulty algorithms or inaccurate data analysis.