A Conjecture About Polynomials in Two Variables

In summary, the conjecture is that there is a continuous curve $\Gamma:[0,1)\to\mathbb R^2$ such that $\Gamma(0)=(0,0)$ and $\Gamma(t)\in P\cap Q$ for all $t>0$.
caffeinemachine
Gold Member
MHB
Let $p(x,y)$ and $q(x,y)$ be two polynomials with coefficients in $\mathbb R$. Define $P=\{(a,b)\in\mathbb R^2 : p(a,b)=0\}$ and $Q=\{(a,b)\in \mathbb R^2:q(a,b)=0\}$. Now assume that there is a sequence of points $(x_n,y_n)$ in $\mathbb R^2$ such that:

1. $(x_n,y_n)\to (0,0)$.
2. $(x_n,y_n)\in P\cap Q$ for all $n$.

I conjecture that there is a continuous curve $\Gamma:[0,1)\to\mathbb R^2$ such that $\Gamma(0)=(0,0)$ and $\Gamma(t)\in P\cap Q$ for all $t>0$.

I am pretty sure that the above is true. But I have no ideas on how to go about proving it. If you draw a picture I think you will also be convinced that the above should be true. Can somebody help?

Physics news on Phys.org
caffeinemachine said:
Let $p(x,y)$ and $q(x,y)$ be two polynomials with coefficients in $\mathbb R$. Define $P=\{(a,b)\in\mathbb R^2 : p(a,b)=0\}$ and $Q=\{(a,b)\in \mathbb R^2:q(a,b)=0\}$. Now assume that there is a sequence of points $(x_n,y_n)$ in $\mathbb R^2$ such that:

1. $(x_n,y_n)\to (0,0)$.
2. $(x_n,y_n)\in P\cap Q$ for all $n$.

I conjecture that there is a continuous curve $\Gamma:[0,1)\to\mathbb R^2$ such that $\Gamma(0)=(0,0)$ and $\Gamma(t)\in P\cap Q$ for all $t>0$.

I am pretty sure that the above is true. But I have no ideas on how to go about proving it. If you draw a picture I think you will also be convinced that the above should be true. Can somebody help?
You have two algebraic curves $P$ and $Q$, and they have infinitely many points of intersection. It follows from Bézout's theorem that $p(x,y)$ and $q(x,y)$ have a non-constant polynomial greatest common divisor $r(x,y)$. I guess that the curve $\{(x,y):r(x,y)=0\}$ should somehow solve your problem.

[But I am not an algebraic geometer. Maybe someone else here has some expertise in that area?]

Opalg said:
You have two algebraic curves $P$ and $Q$, and they have infinitely many points of intersection. It follows from Bézout's theorem that $p(x,y)$ and $q(x,y)$ have a non-constant polynomial greatest common divisor $r(x,y)$. I guess that the curve $\{(x,y):r(x,y)=0\}$ should somehow solve your problem.

[But I am not an algebraic geometer. Maybe someone else here has some expertise in that area?]
Thanks. Let me read a bit and get back.

Related to A Conjecture About Polynomials in Two Variables

1. What is a conjecture about polynomials in two variables?

A conjecture about polynomials in two variables is a statement or hypothesis that has not yet been proven or disproven. It is typically a mathematical statement about the behavior of polynomials in two variables, such as the relationship between the coefficients and roots of the polynomial.

2. How do you test a conjecture about polynomials in two variables?

To test a conjecture about polynomials in two variables, one can use mathematical techniques such as substitution, factoring, or graphing. One can also use numerical methods, such as plugging in values for the variables and observing the resulting outputs.

3. Can a conjecture about polynomials in two variables be proven?

Yes, a conjecture about polynomials in two variables can be proven if there is enough evidence to support it. This can be achieved through rigorous mathematical proof, which involves logical reasoning and the use of mathematical theorems and principles.

4. What are some famous conjectures about polynomials in two variables?

Some famous conjectures about polynomials in two variables include the Birch and Swinnerton-Dyer Conjecture, the Goldbach Conjecture, and the Hodge Conjecture. These conjectures have not yet been proven, but have been studied extensively in the field of mathematics.

5. How are conjectures about polynomials in two variables important in mathematics?

Conjectures about polynomials in two variables are important in mathematics because they help to guide and inspire new research and discoveries. They also serve as starting points for developing new theories and solving existing problems in mathematics. Additionally, proving a conjecture can have significant implications and applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and computer science.