A contour integral with Laurent Series?

In summary: The residues at z=0 and z=-1 are both easy to find because they are simple poles. For m>0, the residues at z=0 and z=-1 are both easy to find because they are the mth poles at z=0. The mth pole at zero is harder but still okay. However, the solution does it differently. The first write the integrand as a Laurent Series about z = 0. f(z) = \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}z^{m}(-z^{3})^{n} = \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}(-1)^{n}z^{m+3n} Then for 1/z
hadroneater

Homework Statement

1. Evaluate
[itex]\int_{c_{2}(0)} f(z)dz = \int_{c_{2}(0)} \frac{z^{m}}{1+z^{3}}dz[/itex]
Where [itex]c_{2}(0)[/itex] is the circle of radius 2 centered at the origin with positive orientation (ccw).

I have done the question myself and compared it with the solution. However, I don't think I am understanding the use of the Laurent Series expansion right.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. If m >= 0, then the integrand has 3 simple poles at z = -1, e^i(pi/3) and e^-i(pi/3).
If m < 0, then the integrand has the above poles and poles of order |m| at z = 0. The circular contour contains all such poles.

From here, what I did was simply apply the Residue Theorem.
For m >= 0
[itex]\int_{c_{2}(0)} \frac{z^{m}}{1+z^{3}}dz = 2i\pi(Res(-1) + Res(e^{\frac{i\pi}{3}}) + Res(e^{\frac{-i\pi}{3}}))[/itex]
For m < = 0
[itex]\int_{c_{2}(0)} \frac{z^{m}}{1+z^{3}}dz = 2i\pi(Res(-1) + Res(e^{\frac{i\pi}{3}}) + Res(e^{\frac{-i\pi}{3}}) + Res(0))[/itex]
The first 3 residues are easy to find because they are simple poles. The mth pole at zero is harder but still okay.

However, the solution does it differently. The first write the integrand as a Laurent Series about z = 0.
[itex]f(z) = \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}z^{m}(-z^{3})^{n} = \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}(-1)^{n}z^{m+3n}[/itex]
Then for 1/z to appear, m + 3n = -1 hence m = -1 - 3n. Thus:
[itex]Res(0) = (-1)^{n}[/itex] when [itex] m = -1 - 3n, n≥ 0[/itex]

I can see why they would do that so that the residue at z = 0 would be easier to find. However, why is the summation for the Laurent Series from n = 0 and not n = -∞? Technically, isn't this just a power series?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
no takers?

hadroneater said:
no takers?

1/(1+z^3) is analytic at z=0. You can expand it in a power series there. No need for negative powers. Then multiply that by z^(m).

But isn't that only assuming m >= 0?

hadroneater said:
But isn't that only assuming m >= 0?

I'm saying you can expand 1/(1+z^3) without any negative powers. That's why n=0 to infinity. Sure, after you multiply by x^(m) some of the powers of z may become negative. But the sum is still n=0 to infinity. I'm not sure what's bothering you about this.

Exactly, there may be negative powers depending on your choice of m, but there certainly shouldn't be infinitely many negative terms as was suggested in the OP.

When m<0 there is clearly a pole at z=0, not an essential singularity.

1. What is a contour integral?

A contour integral is a type of line integral that is calculated along a specific path in the complex plane. It is used to evaluate functions that are not defined on the real number line, or to solve problems in complex analysis.

2. What is a Laurent series?

A Laurent series is an expansion of a function in terms of powers of a complex variable. It is similar to a Taylor series, but it includes both positive and negative powers of the variable. It is often used to represent functions that have singularities, such as poles or branch points.

3. How are contour integrals and Laurent series related?

Contour integrals can be used to evaluate the coefficients in a Laurent series expansion. By integrating around a singularity, the Laurent coefficients can be calculated, allowing the function to be represented as a series.

4. What are the applications of contour integrals and Laurent series?

Contour integrals and Laurent series are used in many areas of mathematics and physics, including complex analysis, differential equations, and quantum mechanics. They are particularly useful in solving problems involving singularities, such as calculating residues or solving boundary value problems.

5. Are there any limitations to using contour integrals and Laurent series?

Yes, there are some limitations to using these techniques. Contour integrals may not always exist or converge, and Laurent series may not exist for all functions. Additionally, the calculation of residues can be challenging for functions with multiple singularities or complicated paths of integration.