A couple basic conceptual questions

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of torque and net force in different cases. In Case A, the net torque is zero due to the cancellation of the force from the ribbon and the friction force. In Case B, the net torque is equal to rF, with a force going straight up via the ribbon and a friction force perpendicular to it. The conversation also mentions the importance of drawing extended free body diagrams to understand and solve for these forces.
haydn
Question 1:
labdiagram1.jpg

I was told here that in Case A, the torque is equal to zero. I'm not really seeing that. I know torque is equal to rFsin[tex]\theta[/tex]. If I draw a vector from the rotation point (the very center of the spool) to the point where the force is being applied, I get that the force and r are perpendicular, so sin[tex]\theta[/tex]=1. Where am I going wrong? I was told that the torque in case B is rF, which I can clearly see by the same reasoning.

Question 2:
labdiagram2.jpg

For both cases, I was told the net force and net torque on the system is 0. The system is considered to be both of the objects. If someone could explain this I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
"net"

haydn said:
I was told here that in Case A, the torque is equal to zero. I'm not really seeing that.

For both cases, I was told the net force and net torque on the system is 0. The system is considered to be both of the objects. If someone could explain this I'd appreciate it.

Hi haydn! :smile:

(i'm assuming that the friction is preventing the spool from moving)

If the spool isn't moving, then yes the net torque is zero.

The net torque is the sum of the torque from the ribbon and the torque (or moment … same thing :biggrin:) from the friction force (and, technically the torque of the weight also, though if you take torque about the centre, then that will be zero :wink:)

Question 2 is similar … you use the net force or torque, which means adding all the forces or torques. :smile:

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure I'm understanding your explanation completely. Please tell me if I'm right or wrong here.

For my first question, in case A, the net torque is 0 because the friction force and the force applied via the ribbon cancel each other out. So incorporating the equation t=rFsin[tex]\theta[/tex], you would plug the net force, 0 into the equation?

Then for case B on the second question though, there are two force components, friction and the force applied via the ribbon... wouldn't this result in a net force at some angle other than 90 degrees? I was told thought that for case B, torque is just equal to rF.

Thanks for the help.

I'm really not following what you're doing.

The question quite clearly tells you to start by drawing "an extended free body diagram for each case".

Have you done this? What does it show? What equations can you get from it?

Yes I drew free body diagrams. For case A I have a force going to the right via the ribbon and a friction force going to the left. I believe these cancel out for a net force of 0.

For case B I have a force going straight up via the ribbon and a friction force perpendicular to that, going to the left along the table. I don't get how the net torque in this case is equal to rF.

haydn said:
Yes I drew free body diagrams.

No you didn't …

what about the other forces?​

1. What is the difference between a hypothesis and a theory?

A hypothesis is an educated guess or prediction about a phenomenon, while a theory is a well-supported and widely accepted explanation for a phenomenon based on a large body of evidence.

2. How do scientists determine the validity of their findings?

Scientists use the scientific method, which involves making observations, developing a hypothesis, testing the hypothesis through experiments, and analyzing the results. The validity of their findings is determined by the reproducibility of their experiments and the consistency of their results.

3. What is the role of peer review in scientific research?

Peer review is a process in which experts in a particular field evaluate and provide feedback on a research paper before it is published. It helps to ensure the quality and accuracy of scientific research by identifying potential flaws or gaps in the study.

4. How do scientists communicate their findings to the public?

Scientists often present their findings at conferences and publish them in scientific journals. They may also communicate their findings through popular media outlets, such as news articles or documentaries, to reach a wider audience.

5. Can scientific theories change over time?

Yes, scientific theories can change and evolve as new evidence is discovered. This is a natural and essential part of the scientific process, as it allows for a deeper understanding of the natural world and the refinement of existing theories.