A couple of Integration problems

In summary, the conversation is about a user seeking help in solving a couple of integration problems and providing their attempt at solving one of them. The problem involves decomposing a fraction into partial fractions and using a substitution method. The conversation also mentions a second integration problem, where the suggestion of using a substitution u = sqrt(x) is given.
star001
A couple of Integration problems 9dx/(x(x^4 + 8 ))

Homework Statement

Hi

I'm new to this forum. I have a couple of Integration Problems which I am not able to integrate correctly. I will also post my attempt at solving the problem so u guys can see what method i took trying to solve these. spent a lot of time in these questions and finally decided to post in this forum.

9dx/(x(x^4 + 8 ))

integ 37dx/((root(x)+ xroot(x))

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt

i tried u substitution with u=x^2
also 9 is a constant so i took it out for the time being(ill multiply the answer i get with 9)

9 integ dx/(x(x^4 + 8 )) u = x^2 du=2xdx
9 integ xdx/(x^2(x^4 + 8 ))
9*1/2 integ du/(u(u^2 + 8 )

9*1/2 integ du/(u^3 + 8u ) ??
9*1/2 (ln|u^3 +8u|) <<is that answer correct?

if not can someone kindly tell me how to do this problem pls.

I do not know how to go about the 2nd problem. any hints on how to approach it are welcome :)

thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. Decompose [tex]\frac{1}{x\left(x^4+8\right)}[/tex] into partial fractions

2. [tex]u=\sqrt{x}[/tex] + partial fraction decomposition

star001 said:

Homework Statement

Hi

I'm new to this forum. I have a couple of Integration Problems which I am not able to integrate correctly. I will also post my attempt at solving the problem so u guys can see what method i took trying to solve these. spent a lot of time in these questions and finally decided to post in this forum.

9dx/(x(x^4 + 8 ))

integ 37dx/((root(x)+ xroot(x))

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt

i tried u substitution with u=x^2
also 9 is a constant so i took it out for the time being(ill multiply the answer i get with 9)

9 integ dx/(x(x^4 + 8 )) u = x^2 du=2xdx
9 integ xdx/(x^2(x^4 + 8 ))
9*1/2 integ du/(u(u^2 + 8 )

9*1/2 integ du/(u^3 + 8u ) ??
So far so good, but the next line is not correct.
[tex]\int \frac{du}{u}~=~ln|u| + C[/tex]
but you don't have just exactly u in the denominator; you have u3 + 8u. To work through that integral you probably need a technique called partial fraction decomposition, AKA partial fractions.
star001 said:
9*1/2 (ln|u^3 +8u|) <<is that answer correct?

if not can someone kindly tell me how to do this problem pls.

I do not know how to go about the 2nd problem. any hints on how to approach it are welcome :)

thanks in advance!
For your second problem, I would start with a substitution u = sqrt(x), and see where that takes you.

Thanks a lot guys!

1. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process used to find the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over a given interval. It involves finding a function that represents the original function's rate of change and using that function to find the total change over the interval.

2. Why is integration important?

Integration is important in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and economics. It allows us to calculate important quantities such as velocity, displacement, and work. It is also used in statistics to find probabilities and in calculus to solve differential equations.

3. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integration?

Definite integration involves finding the total change or area under a curve over a specific interval. This results in a numerical value. Indefinite integration, on the other hand, involves finding a general function that, when differentiated, will result in the original function. This results in a function with a constant of integration.

4. What are some common techniques for solving integration problems?

Some common techniques for solving integration problems include substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric substitution, and partial fractions. These techniques involve manipulating the integrand in order to make it easier to integrate.

5. How do I know when to use integration in a real-world problem?

Integration is typically used in problems involving rates of change, accumulation, or area. If you are given a function that represents a rate of change or a quantity changing over time, integration may be necessary to find the total change or accumulated value. In geometric problems, integration may be used to find the area under a curve or between two curves.