A couple questions about gravity

In summary, the individual is seeking clarification on the equation f=g*m1m2/d^2 and its practical application. They are unsure of the meaning of the results and the required force for objects to orbit or become attached to each other. They also inquire about the necessary strength for binary stars to be attracted to each other and the minimum force and distance for two objects to exhibit mutual attraction. The conversation also touches on the importance of having a basic understanding of second-order partial differential equations.
fezmaster
So I understand the equation f=g*m1m2/d^2 and I understand how to use it, but I'm unsure what my results actually mean. Once I have calculated the force, I don't know what the strength implies. How much force do I need for one object to orbit another? How much is so much that the objects become 'attached' to one another (like we are to the earth)? How much is too little?

Also, if we look at binary stars, they are both attracted to each other with a similar force due to their masses. What strength is required for this to happen? If I were to put two cars in space, they certainly wouldn't be massive enough to pull at each other. But how big/close together would two objects have to be in order for this to happen?

Physics news on Phys.org
fezmaster said:
So I understand the equation f=g*m1m2/d^2 and I understand how to use it, but I'm unsure what my results actually mean. Once I have calculated the force, I don't know what the strength implies. How much force do I need for one object to orbit another? How much is so much that the objects become 'attached' to one another (like we are to the earth)? How much is too little?

Do you have a basic knowledge of second-order partial differential equations? You should probably get some before attempting to solve this.

Also, if we look at binary stars, they are both attracted to each other with a similar force due to their masses. What strength is required for this to happen? If I were to put two cars in space, they certainly wouldn't be massive enough to pull at each other. But how big/close together would two objects have to be in order for this to happen?

Same, but two cars actually are massive enough to pull at each other, just rather weakly. There's also a good chance they'll be gravitationally bound (assuming that's what you mean.)

I believe that I understand it... Unless there's something fundamental that I'm missing, but I'm not sure what that would be. I just wondered how much force is required for one object to orbit another. I understand that there's no set answer to this question, but I was just hoping for some sort of ballpark estimate.

And I do understand that the cars would pull at each other with a little amount of force. I'm just unsure how much force would be enough that you could actually observe them being mutually attracted towards each other.

fezmaster said:
If I were to put two cars in space, they certainly wouldn't be massive enough to pull at each other.

That's not true. The equation which you already know tells you the force of attraction between them. Perhaps you mean that a person could spend a long time watching them and not notice their acceleration toward one another. That's just a matter of being able to notice movement. The hour hand of a clock is moving but it doesn't look like it.

mikelepore said:
That's not true. The equation which you already know tells you the force of attraction between them. Perhaps you mean that a person could spend a long time watching them and not notice their acceleration toward one another. That's just a matter of being able to notice movement. The hour hand of a clock is moving but it doesn't look like it.
Yes, I made an error when I wrote it out. I meant visibly pull at each other (just with our eyes)

As for what is noticably visible, maybe we can estimate that it's just barely visible if, during a period of time of one second, an object goes from being at rest to having a speed of 1 millimeter per second. If so, that would be an acceleration of a=0.001 m/s^2. Whatever "a" you want to use, solve F=ma to get the necessary values of force and mass.

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a fundamental force of nature that describes the attraction between two objects with mass. It is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun, objects falling to the ground, and the shape of our universe.

2. How does gravity work?

Gravity works by causing massive objects to attract each other. The strength of the gravitational force depends on the mass of the objects and the distance between them. The closer two objects are, the stronger the gravitational force between them.

3. Who discovered gravity?

Sir Isaac Newton is credited with discovering the concept of gravity in the late 17th century. He developed the theory of gravity based on his observations of objects falling to the ground and the motion of celestial bodies.

4. Can gravity be turned off or reversed?

No, gravity cannot be turned off or reversed. It is a fundamental force of nature and is always present. However, the strength of gravity can be counteracted by other forces, such as lift or propulsion.

5. How does gravity affect the universe?

Gravity is a crucial factor in shaping the universe. It is responsible for the formation of galaxies, stars, and planets. Without gravity, the universe would lack structure and objects would not be held together.