A coyote chases a rabbit basic vector problem

• Thread starter kirby27
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the direction of a coyote's average acceleration as it chases a rabbit. The person uses the formula theta = arctan(Ax/Ay) to calculate the angle, but realizes they may be using the wrong formula or in the wrong quadrant. They suggest using a diagram to confirm the correct angle.
kirby27
A coyote chasing a rabbit is moving 8.00 due east at one moment and 8.80 due south 3.80 later. Find the direction of the coyote’s average acceleration during that time (west of due south)?

i found Ax = -2.11 and Ay = -2.32. i used the theta = arctan(Ay/Ax) formula and got 47.7 but that isn't the right answer. am i using the wrong formula or am i in the wrong quadrant?

Physics news on Phys.org
kirby27 said:
A coyote chasing a rabbit is moving 8.00 due east at one moment and 8.80 due south 3.80 later. Find the direction of the coyote’s average acceleration during that time (west of due south)?i found Ax = -2.11 and Ay = -2.32. i used the theta = arctan(Ay/Ax) formula and got 47.7 but that isn't the right answer. am i using the wrong formula or am i in the wrong quadrant?

Actually you want arctan(Ax/Ay) since they asked for the angle West of South, not the direction South of West.

EDIT: A diagram would have helped.

can anyone else confirm this is true?

kirby27 said:
can anyone else confirm this is true?

I mean a diagram of the two vectors would have helped you see which angle you were after.

It appears that you have correctly calculated the components of the coyote's acceleration, but the direction you have obtained is not the final answer. To find the direction of the coyote's average acceleration, we need to use the formula for the magnitude of a vector, which is given by the square root of the sum of the squares of its components. In this case, the magnitude of the acceleration vector is given by sqrt((-2.11)^2 + (-2.32)^2) = 3.12.

Next, we can use the formula for the direction of a vector, which is given by the inverse tangent of the y-component divided by the x-component. This will give us the angle in the coordinate plane, measured counterclockwise from the positive x-axis. In this case, the direction of the acceleration vector is given by arctan(-2.32/-2.11) = 48.7 degrees.

However, since the question asks for the direction of the acceleration vector west of due south, we need to subtract this angle from 180 degrees. This gives us a final direction of 180 - 48.7 = 131.3 degrees west of due south.

In summary, you have correctly calculated the components of the acceleration vector, but you need to use the correct formulas to find the magnitude and direction. Keep in mind that the direction of a vector is always measured counterclockwise from the positive x-axis. I hope this helps clarify the solution for you.

1. What is a coyote chasing a rabbit basic vector problem?

A coyote chasing a rabbit basic vector problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the motion of two objects, a coyote and a rabbit, in a two-dimensional space. The problem typically requires the use of vector addition and subtraction to determine the final displacement and velocity of both objects.

2. What are the key concepts involved in solving this problem?

The key concepts involved in solving a coyote chasing a rabbit basic vector problem include vector addition and subtraction, displacement, velocity, and acceleration. It is also important to understand the relationship between distance, time, and speed.

3. How do you set up the problem?

To solve a coyote chasing a rabbit basic vector problem, you must first draw a diagram representing the starting positions and velocities of the coyote and the rabbit. Then, you will need to break down the velocities into their x and y components and use vector addition and subtraction to calculate the final displacement and velocity of each object.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving this problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a coyote chasing a rabbit basic vector problem include not properly breaking down the velocities into their x and y components, not accounting for the direction of the vectors, and not using the correct units for distance and time. It is also important to double-check calculations and consider the physical constraints of the problem.

5. How can this problem be applied in real-life situations?

The concept of vector addition and subtraction used in solving a coyote chasing a rabbit basic vector problem can be applied in various real-life situations, such as calculating the motion of objects in sports, analyzing the flight path of a projectile, or determining the displacement of a vehicle. It is a fundamental concept in physics and has many practical applications in different fields.