Help With Physics Vector Problem

In summary, the person starts by biking 3.7 km due west, then changes direction to travel 6.6 km at 57º west of north. The third part of their trip is an unknown distance in an unknown direction, but they end up 2.3 km at 10º south of east of their starting point. Using the given equations, the magnitude and specific direction of the third part of their trip can be calculated. The work has been double-checked and is correct.
physicsguy101

Homework Statement

Someone bikes 3.7 km due west, and then 6.6 km at 57º west of north. The person continues for an unknown distance in an unknown direction. He ends up 2.3 km at 10º south of east of where he started.
Find the magnitude and specific direction of the third part of the person's trip.

Homework Equations

Ax = Acosθ
Ay = Asinθ
a2 + b2 = c2
tanθ = y/x

The Attempt at a Solution

kd2838.png

I have a feeling that something isn't checking out. If someone can take a look over that work and see if I've gone wrong somewhere, that would be great.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I just did the problem. It is fine.

FAQ: Help With Physics Vector Problem

1. What is a vector in physics?

A vector in physics is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is represented by an arrow, where the length of the arrow represents the magnitude and the direction of the arrow represents the direction.

2. How do I add or subtract vectors?

To add or subtract vectors, you need to first break down the vectors into their x and y components. Then, add or subtract the components separately. Finally, use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude and trigonometric functions to find the direction of the resulting vector.

3. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector?

A scalar is a quantity that only has magnitude, while a vector has both magnitude and direction. Examples of scalars include temperature, mass, and time, while examples of vectors include displacement, velocity, and force.

4. How do I calculate the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem: magnitude = √(x² + y²), where x and y are the x and y components of the vector.

5. Can a vector have a negative magnitude?

No, a vector cannot have a negative magnitude. Magnitude is always a positive value, representing the length of the vector. However, the direction of the vector can be negative, indicating the opposite direction of the vector's arrow.