1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A demonstration on the necessary positive change in the entropy

1. Nov 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello everyone. My problem is as follows: In a spontaneous process where two bodies at different temperatures [itex]T_{1}[/itex] and [itex]T_{2}[/itex], where [itex]T_{1}>T_{2}[/itex], are put together until they reach thermal equilibrium. The number of atoms or molecules of the first is [itex]N_{1}[/itex] and [itex]N_{2}[/itex] for the second one, with [itex]N_{1} \neq N_{2}[/itex], and they have heat capacities equal to [itex]C_{V_{1}}=aN_{1}k[/itex] and [itex]C_{V_{2}}=aN_{2}k[/itex], with [itex]a[/itex] given with the appropriate units. Past some sufficiently large time, the system reaches a temperature [itex]T[/itex], provided that [itex]T_{1}>T>T_{2}[/itex], which is in function of the initial temperatures and the number of atoms or molecules of the two bodies. The problem is that i can't demonstate that the change of the entropy of the system as a whole is positive, i.e. [tex]\bigtriangleup S>0[/tex]
    2. Relevant equations
    When i compute the change of the entropy for the i-th body, i get
    [tex]\bigtriangleup S_{i}=\int_{T_{i}}^T \! \frac{1}{T} \, \mathrm{d} Q=\int_{T_{i}}^T \! \frac{aN_{i}k}{T} \, \mathrm{d} T=aN_{i}k\int_{T_{i}}^T \! \frac{1}{T} \, \mathrm{d} T=aN_{i}k\ln{\frac{T}{T_{i}}}[/tex]
    With the hypothesis that the entropy is an extensive property, then [tex]\bigtriangleup S=\bigtriangleup S_{1}+\bigtriangleup S_{2}=aN_{1}k\ln{\frac{T}{T_{1}}}+aN_{2}k\ln{\frac{T}{T_{2}}}[/tex]
    So i just have to prove that [tex]N_{1}\ln{\frac{T}{T_{1}}}+N_{2}\ln{\frac{T}{T_{2}}} > 0[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think that i have to use the two cases ([itex]N_{1}>N_{2}[/itex] and [itex]N_{1}<N_{2}[/itex]), and using the fact that [itex]T_{1}>T>T_{2}[/itex], to prove the inequality, but i have tried to do it in very different ways, and i get nothing, so i think there is some trick to demonstrating that, but i'm still a bit of an amateur in proving tricky inequalities.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Don't you need conservation of energy? Otherwise there's nothing to stop both ending arbitrarily close to T2.

4. Nov 24, 2012 #3
    Actually i've used conservation of energy, and i can determine the temperature [itex]T[/itex] of equilibrium, which is [tex]T=\frac{N_{1}T_{1}+N_{2}T_{2}}{N_{1}+N_{2}}[/tex]but when i substitute that expression on the inequality, the later just complicates a little bit more. In despite of this, i think i must substitute [itex]T[/itex] in the inequality, but i get nothing again.

5. Nov 24, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'm sure it can be done this way, but I feel that performing the integral just makes life harder. Consider a small dQ transferred. The hotter body loses dQ/T1, the cooler gains dQ/T2. Since T1 > T2, the sum has increased.

6. Nov 24, 2012 #5
    Thanks haruspex. If i understand, you say that [tex]dS=dS_{1}+dS_{2}=\frac{dQ}{T_{1}}+\frac{dQ}{T_{2}}[/tex]With the fact that [itex]T_{1}>T_{2}[/itex], therefore a small dQ transferred between them would lead a change in the first entropy which is smaller than the change of the second one, without sayin anything about [itex]C_{V_{1}}[/itex] nor [itex]C_{V_{2}}[/itex]? But maybe i should take into account a small change in the temperature [itex]T_{1}[/itex] and in [itex]T_{2}[/itex] just to get a formal demonstration, don't you think?

7. Nov 24, 2012 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

[tex]dS=dS_{1}+dS_{2}=\frac{-dQ}{T_{1}}+\frac{dQ}{T_{2}}[/tex]
    Yes, I suppose strictly you should say ΔS1 ≥ -dQ/(T1 + ΔT1) and ΔS2 ≥ dQ/(T2 + ΔT2) (ΔT1 being negative). You will probably also need to specify T1 + ΔT1 > T2 + ΔT2, i.e. the deltas are small enough that the temperatures do not cross over.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook