A difficult problem regarding inverses and derivatives

• Thread starter nietzsche
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivatives
In summary, the homework statement states that a continuous function must have an inverse if it is to be a solution to the equation f'(f(x))=x. The function must be increasing or decreasing for all x and the inverse must have a negative value for all x not equal to 1.
nietzsche

Homework Statement

Is there a continuous function f:R->R such that f'(f(x)) = x ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been working on this problem for quite some time now. I can see that, supposing there is such a function f, then [tex]f^{-1}(x) = f'(x)[/tex]. So we are looking for a function whose derivative is its inverse.

I'm trying to see what other information I can gather from the givens, but I'm pretty much clueless as to where to go from here. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about the properties that a continuous function has to have to have an inverse. Draw some graphs. It has to hit every horizontal line exactly once, right? Can you make a statement about f(x) involving the words 'increasing' and 'decreasing'?

hmm...

f(x) has to be one-to-one in order for it to have an inverse function, so it must be either increasing for all x or decreasing for all x.

if we suppose f(x) is increasing, then f'(x) will be positive for all x. but f inverse will have negative values, so f'(x) can never equal f inverse. a similar argument applies for decreasing functions.

how's that? I'm not sure how to make it more rigorous... that always seems to be my problem.

according to all the graphs i drew, i figured out that the inverse of an increasing function is also an increasing function, and the inverse of a decreasing function is also a decreasing function. I'm not sure if I'm looking at all the cases though. is that a valid assumption?

nietzsche said:
hmm...

f(x) has to be one-to-one in order for it to have an inverse function, so it must be either increasing for all x or decreasing for all x.

if we suppose f(x) is increasing, then f'(x) will be positive for all x. but f inverse will have negative values, so f'(x) can never equal f inverse. a similar argument applies for decreasing functions.

how's that? I'm not sure how to make it more rigorous... that always seems to be my problem.

That's what I was thinking. If f(x) is increasing then f'(x)>=0 for all x, but f'(f(-1))=(-1), that's a contradiction. As you say, similar argument for decreasing. That might be all they are really expecting. If you want totally rigorous, then you have to prove two things, if you haven't already proved them. i) if f(x) is invertible then f(x) is either increasing or decreasing and ii) if f(x) is increasing e.g. then f'(x)>=0. If you want to continue, any ideas on proving either one?

Last edited:
Dick said:
That's what I was thinking. If f(x) is increasing then f'(x)>=0 for all x, but f'(f(-1))=(-1), that's a contradiction. As you say, similar argument for decreasing. That might be all they are really expecting. If you want totally rigorous, then you have to prove two things, if you haven't already proved them. i) if f(x) is invertible then f(x) is either increasing or decreasing and ii) if f(x) is increasing e.g. then f'(x)>=0. If you want to continue, any ideas on proving either one?

thanks for the help. with regards to the proofs for i and ii, I'm going to have to look over it a bit more, but i get the main idea now.

you should probably demonstrate for the case when f is not invertible as well, should be easy enough if you assume
[tex] f(x_1) = f(x_2) [/tex] with
[tex] x_1 \neq x_2 [/tex]

1. What is an inverse function?

An inverse function is a function that "undoes" another function. In other words, if a function f(x) takes an input x and produces an output y, an inverse function f^-1(y) takes that output y and produces the original input x.

2. How do you find the inverse of a function?

To find the inverse of a function, you need to switch the roles of x and y in the function and solve for y. This will give you the equation for the inverse function f^-1(y).

3. What is the relationship between inverse functions and derivatives?

The derivative of an inverse function is equal to the reciprocal of the derivative of the original function. This means that the slope of the tangent line to the inverse function at a point is equal to the reciprocal of the slope of the tangent line to the original function at the corresponding point.

4. How do you find the derivative of an inverse function?

To find the derivative of an inverse function, you can use the formula: (f^-1)'(x) = 1 / f'(f^-1(x)). This means that you first find the derivative of the original function, substitute the inverse function for x, and then take the reciprocal of the result.

5. What are some real-life applications of inverse functions and derivatives?

Inverse functions and derivatives are commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to model and analyze various systems. For example, inverse functions can be used to calculate the time needed for an object to reach a certain position, while derivatives can be used to determine the rate of change of a quantity over time.