Is an equilibrium solution always zero in differential equations?

• Thread starter ehabmozart
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Doubt
In summary, an equilibrium solution is a constant solution of a differential equation where the derivative is zero, and in the example given, the equilibrium solution is 49.
ehabmozart
I am still in the first few pages of my differential course. I just passed through the term equilibrium solution. Apparently, it meant for me as when the solution of the DE is zero. For example, dv/dt= 9.8-(v/5) ... has an equilibrium solution of 49 where dv.dt is actually zero. Is this the case or not??

Physics news on Phys.org
ehabmozart said:
I am still in the first few pages of my differential course. I just passed through the term equilibrium solution. Apparently, it meant for me as when the solution of the DE is zero. For example, dv/dt= 9.8-(v/5) ... has an equilibrium solution of 49 where dv.dt is actually zero. Is this the case or not??

An equilibrium solution is a solution which is a constant. Since the derivative of a constant is zero, a constant solution [itex]v(t) = v_0[/itex] of [itex]\dot v(t) = f(v(t))[/itex] must satisfy [itex]f(v_0) = 0[/itex].

Thus any equilibrium solution of [itex]\dot v = 9.8 - \frac15 v[/itex] must satisfy [itex]9.8 - \frac15 v = 0[/itex], ie. [itex]v(t) = 49[/itex].

Related to Is an equilibrium solution always zero in differential equations?

1. What is DE Equilibrium?

DE Equilibrium, also known as differential equilibrium, is a concept in thermodynamics that describes the state of a system where there is no net change in the system's properties over time. In other words, the system is in a state of balance or stability.

2. How is DE Equilibrium determined?

DE Equilibrium is determined by analyzing the rates of change of the system's properties. If the rates of change are equal and opposite, then the system is in DE Equilibrium. This can be represented mathematically by setting the derivative of the system's properties with respect to time to zero.

3. Is DE Equilibrium always at zero?

No, DE Equilibrium is not always at zero. It is possible for the system to be in equilibrium at a non-zero value, as long as the rates of change are equal and opposite.

4. What factors can disrupt DE Equilibrium?

DE Equilibrium can be disrupted by changes in the system's properties, such as temperature, pressure, or concentration. External forces, such as a sudden increase in energy or a chemical reaction, can also disrupt DE Equilibrium.

5. Why is DE Equilibrium important in science?

DE Equilibrium is important in science because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of systems. It is a fundamental concept in fields such as thermodynamics, chemistry, and physics, and is crucial for understanding natural phenomena and designing experiments and processes.