A doubt on the meaning of the bra ket product

In summary: Then go back to the Born Rule. Probability of it being in |b1> after the observation is (a*<b1| + c*<b2|)|b1><b1|(a|b1> + c|b2>) = |a|^2. You can work out |b2>.
amedeo_fisi
Hello everyone, I have thi doubt:
If I have a state, say psi1, associated with the energy eigenvalue E1, the integral over a certain region gives me the probability of finding the particle in that region with the specified energy E1. Now if I put an operator between the states I obtain its mean value of the observable. If now I have two different states psi1 and psi2, associated with the two energy E1 and E2, what does their product mean? And what's the meaning if I put inside an operator?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by product? Do you mean different states in different systems or a superposition in the same system?

Thanks
Bill

I mean the hermitian product of two states. For example consider the hamiltonian eigenstates of the harmonic oscillator, what does it mean that the product of two different states is zero?

amedeo_fisi said:
I mean the hermitian product of two states. For example consider the hamiltonian eigenstates of the harmonic oscillator, what does it mean that the product of two different states is zero?

Obviously it means they are orthogonal - but I think you want a bit more than that.

Ok we need to go to the Born Rule. Given a state |u> the expected value of observing it with an observable O is E(O) = <u|O|u>. Now suppose we have two orthogonal states |b1> and |b2>. Consider the following observable O = |b1><b1| which is the observable that gives 1 if the system gives the state |b1> after observation (the 1 is interpreted as a yes, otherwise a no, and its easy to see this is the probability it will be in state |b1>) and apply the Born Rule to each state. E(O) = <b1|b1><b1|b1> = 1. So when it is observed with O it will always be in state |b1> after observation and always give a yes. In fact the state is not altered by the observation. Now apply it to |b2> and you get <b2|b1><b1|b2> = 0. Thus the state will always give no. The state of the system is also unchanged after. Similarly if you use the observable |b2><b2|.

What orthogonal states imply is we can find an observable that will give the probability of the system being in one of those states after observation and a yes. If its in that state it will always give a yes and not change the state. If its in the other it will never give a yes and not change the state.

Thanks
Bill

And what happen if the system is in the superposition of b1 and b2, say: |u> = a|b1> + c|b2>

amedeo_fisi said:
And what happen if the system is in the superposition of b1 and b2, say: |u> = a|b1> + c|b2>

Then go back to the Born Rule. Probability of it being in |b1> after the observation is (a*<b1| + c*<b2|)|b1><b1|(a|b1> + c|b2>) = |a|^2. You can work out |b2>.

Thanks
Bill

1) What is the bra-ket product in quantum physics?

The bra-ket product, also known as the inner product or scalar product, is a mathematical operation used in quantum mechanics to calculate the probability amplitude of transitioning from one quantum state to another.

2) How is the bra-ket product represented?

The bra-ket product is represented by the notation <𝜓|𝜙>, where 𝜓 and 𝜙 are quantum states represented by vectors in a Hilbert space.

3) What is the significance of the bra and ket in the bra-ket product?

The bra and ket represent the dual nature of quantum states, with the bra representing the conjugate transpose of the ket. This allows for the calculation of complex probability amplitudes in quantum mechanics.

4) Can the bra-ket product be used in classical physics?

No, the bra-ket product is a mathematical operation specific to quantum mechanics and does not have a classical counterpart.

5) How is the bra-ket product related to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely the position of a particle is known, the less precisely its momentum can be known, is closely related to the bra-ket product. The bra-ket product is used to calculate the expectation value of a quantum observable, such as position or momentum, which is affected by the uncertainty principle.