1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A few general questions

1. Jan 12, 2006 #1
    I would like to know the answers for these questions for my ridiculously hard extra credit.
    I have researched these questions and found little information and I really don't know what else to do (I need these points bad)
    1. How does water interact with other molecules (give examples too please)
    2. How does water moderate the effects of temperature changes and what causes water molecules too speed up at a slower rate.
    3.How does cohesion help tall trees (I know it involves water moving up the tree)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2006 #2

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What made you so curious about water all the sudden? You mention cohesion....what is cohesion? You can start by showing some investigational work, before we guide you along, for these homework problems. Read about PF's homework policy.

4. Jan 12, 2006 #3
    Cohesion is what happends in a straw when the like particles attract each other and pull each other closer together. Yes this is extra credit that was way too hard for me. I apologize for not mentioning that. I would like to note that I have answered many questions on my extra credit already and I have googled for some of these answers and found nothing that helps. So i relied on fourms. Can you help me with these questions now please ?

5. Jan 13, 2006 #4
    You need to look at the specific properties of water.

IE)
    Is H2O a polar/nonpolar molecule?

What is water's thermal conductivity?
    Compared to other substances?

3.How does cohesion help tall trees (I know it involves water moving up the tree)

You already answered this yourself.:wink:

6. Jan 13, 2006 #5

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Honestly, these questions can be found explicitly in your text, so they don't look like extra credit to me. I'm not deliberately being condenscending here....you don't need the internet, just your text.

Is this in references to water interacting with each other? If so what kind of bond(s) do you need to take into account.

If it is in reference to other molecules, you'll need to consider all interactions which involve a dipole. I'll get you started

dipole-dipole
    dipole-induced dipole

ring a bell so far?

If this is in reference to the hydration of molecules by water, such as with charged compounds, browse through your text I'm pretty sure you'll be able to find a picture of what appears to be water surrounding a charged molecule in an ordered fashion (depending on if it's a cation or an anion).

If you're near the coast (near the ocean), what is water's role in regulating the temperature? This question pertains to the water's specific heat.

Technically, there's a limit to how far water can move up a tree through the capillary effect. For very tall trees, with the aid of the wind, the tree swings back and forth and this gets the water towards the top.

What is the capillary effect? Refer to your text.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?