A few problems with the operator method .

In summary, the student has some problems with the operator method and is looking for help. The student has questions about the Hermite equation and is looking for clarification. The student has questions about when to use the recurrence relation and is looking for a specific answer. The student is confused about when to use the \delta symbol and is looking for help from the lecturer.
Claire84
A few problems with the operator method...

Hey there, I've just started doing the operator method etc in Maths and I was hoping someone could give me a hand here cos I've got a couple of qs (relating to the homework sheet).

http://titus.phy.qub.ac.uk/group/Jorge/AMA203/assignments/ass03_10.pdf

In question 1 part 3, with the Hermite equation, I really don't know what to do with it cos it just kinda gets stuck. I multiplied through by x^2 so I could have X^2 D^2 y so I could use the operator (sorry I can't write it up, but if O were the operator, this would look like O(O - 1)). So that part is fine but then that leaves us with x^2 ( 2n + 1 - x^2 )y, and when you've to bring that over to the other side of the eqt, I'm not sure you split it up so you have x^h G(O) y. The others are fine but I don't know about that one because all the powers of x aren't the same and I don't think you can have an x^2 in our G(0). If someone could explain to me where I'm going wrong or where to proceed from here it would be great.

Second of all, and my last question for the moment cos I think the rest of the h/work is ok, do you think there's a specific reason why in question 3 when it asks for the recurrence relation it only gives us one of them? There are 2 values of alpa (0 and 1-b) and what they've given is only applicable for the 0 one. Am I missing the point of something here? Oh, and one other teeny thing, just about when it says find the series solution for around x=0. We don't actually have tso sub anything to do with zero in, do we? Does this just come from the way we initially write the Frobenius series? I was looking at the past papers and they seemed to take it this way but I just wanted to check...

Thank you! :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Btw, I was at the library this afternoon for about an hour and I checked through all their differential equation books, and none of them had the Hermite eqt as this. They all had the same one and it wasn't this so do you think it's possible there has been a misprint here?

I would help but I'm a little puzzled as to what the [tex]\delta[/tex] symbol means here, would you mind elaborating? It doens't appear as though it can just be d/dx

No problem. We have D = d/dx and that symbol that you stated is xD (just x times d/dx). Sorry, I should have stated it.

I would start from the expression involving [tex]\delta[/tex] and subs in xd/dx and see what happens. You may then work "backwards" to see who you should do it. There's no harm in doing this, as long as your final write up all goes in one direction, and all the steps are reversible.

Have no answer for the rest, atm.

I'd do that but I don't know what I'm supposed to get in the end. I mean the others were simple but I just don't know how you're supposed to work with this one. Hopefully there is an error with this one. I can always badger the poor lecturer about iton Monday after class. It's no wonder the poor man has turned to drink having me around!

Thanks for your help, btw. :smile:

y''-2xy'+2ny=0 is what seems to be given evereywhere else for the Hermiet eqt btw, which is fine to solve by this method...

I'd do the last eqt I mentioned by multiplying through by x^2 so we'd have 0(0-1)y - 2x^20y + 2nyx^2 where 0=xD. Then rearranging it to get it into the form that we want, we'd have 0(0-1)y= x^2 (2(0) +2n)y. Sorry I can't make it any clearer. Someday I will learn how to type mathemtical formulas on here correctly (it'll be my project for the summer hols, I'm already looking forward to them! :p).

1. What is the operator method in science?

The operator method is a mathematical technique used in quantum mechanics to solve for the energy levels and wave functions of a given system. It involves representing the physical quantities of a system using mathematical operators and applying them to the wave function.

2. What are some common problems with the operator method?

Some common problems with the operator method include difficulty in finding the correct operators for a given system, mathematical complexities in solving the equations, and potential errors in applying the method to non-linear systems.

3. How does the operator method differ from other mathematical techniques in quantum mechanics?

The operator method differs from other techniques, such as the matrix method or the wave function method, in that it allows for the calculation of both discrete and continuous energy levels, making it more versatile. It also takes into account the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics.

4. What are some applications of the operator method in science?

The operator method is commonly used in fields such as atomic and molecular physics, solid state physics, and quantum chemistry. It is also used in engineering and technology to study and design quantum devices.

5. Are there any limitations to the operator method?

Like any mathematical technique, the operator method has its limitations. It is not suitable for systems with strong interactions or for systems with a large number of particles. It also does not take into account relativistic effects, which may be important in some cases.