A friendly species of pine for southwest USA?

• Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Usa
In summary, the conversation is about finding a species of pine tree with soft, eastern white pine-like needles that can thrive in the southwest USA. It would also be ideal if the tree had smooth bark for climbing. The location in question is southern New Mexico, and the thread has been moved to a different forum for more responses.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
TL;DR Summary: Is there a species of pine tree whose dried needles are somewhat soft (like those of the Eastern White Pine) and will thrive in the southwest USA?

Is there a species of pine tree whose dried needles are somewhat soft (like those of the Eastern White Pine) and will thrive in the southwest USA?

It would also be nice if the tree had smooth bark. As a child, I recall the fun of climbing eastern white pines, but I don't see kids climbing the rough barked pines here in southern NM.

Physics news on Phys.org
(Thread moved to the GD forum for more views)

Hi, @Stephen Tashi, I've tried in vain to help you. Maybe if you could write in Latin the name of the Eastern White Pine?.

Greetings!

What part of the southwest are we talking? There's a huge range of biomes and climates there which will have an impact on your choices.

1. What is the scientific name of the friendly pine species in southwest USA?

The scientific name of the friendly pine species in southwest USA is Pinus edulis, also known as the piñon pine or Colorado pinyon pine.

2. What are the characteristics of this friendly pine species?

This species of pine is a small to medium-sized tree that typically grows to be 10-30 feet tall. It has a rounded crown and a thick, scaly bark. The needles are short (1-2 inches) and grow in pairs, and the cones are small and oval-shaped.

3. What are the benefits of planting this friendly pine species?

There are several benefits to planting this friendly pine species in southwest USA. It is drought-resistant and can thrive in dry, rocky soils. It also provides food for wildlife, such as birds and small mammals, and its seeds are edible for humans as well. Additionally, it adds aesthetic value to the landscape with its unique shape and color.

4. How do I care for this friendly pine species?

This pine species is relatively low maintenance. It does not require much water once established and can survive in a variety of soil types. It is important to prune dead or damaged branches to maintain its shape and health. Pests and diseases are not major concerns for this species, but it is still recommended to monitor for any issues.

5. Can this friendly pine species be grown in other regions besides southwest USA?

While this pine species is native to southwest USA, it can also be grown in other regions with similar climates, such as parts of California, Nevada, and New Mexico. It may also be able to adapt to slightly different conditions, but it is best to consult with a local expert before planting in a new region.

Back